Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shoplifting at Target

im an 18 year old high school student. i got caught taking 2 packs of baseball cards from target. they sent me a letter demanding $500. i know i did wrong and am willing to pay the consequences, but $500. any chance they would take a lesser amount? police were not called. if i pay, will that be the end of it. thanks for any advice

Default Re: Shoplifting at Target

If you wish, contact them and try to negotiate a lesser payment.

panther10758 Guest

No! This is called "Civil Demand" its legal and the amount is just. I have never heard of any such request for funds being reduce but I have heard many cases that payments were allowed. Be warned if you fail to pay or pay on time you can be sued for even more plus court costs!

Quote Quoting not thinking
    View Post
    im an 18 year old high school student. i got caught taking 2 packs of baseball cards from target. they sent me a letter demanding $500. i know i did wrong and am willing to pay the consequences, but $500. any chance they would take a lesser amount? police were not called. if i pay, will that be the end of it. thanks for any advice
    yeah it seems harsh but you are lucky if they did not call the cops. And it is really not right we all pay higher prices because people steal.. so life is just like that.

This is a funny area. They are charging you $500 for what?

Did you get to keep the cards?
    If not what did target lose to justify $500?

I've never understood shoplifting. If you "steal" but you don't keep what you stole, then what loss is it to the store? Why do they extort $500 from you for taking probably a couple of bucks worth of cards?

Especially if you don't get to keep the cards.... There were no losses.

I can't stand extortion.

I would send them $500 Mexican Pesos (pesos use the same symbol $ for their currency) if they didn't list U.S. Dollars specifically (500 pesos is 45 bucks). I'd also send it in cash and include a letter that you dropped the cash in a toilet filled with pee first and let it air dry. "just think of what you are holding". The letter is not legal, it's just as if I typed one to you.

If they sue you, it's civil. Remember, if you are sued you have the right to fight the charge. Ask questions like "what was it that caused $500 in losses to the store".

Or call them and say you are broke. You'll send them $50 U.S. That's all you have and if they sue you, you'll just file for bankruptcy.

Corporations shoot themselves in the foot. They'll look for a solutions that grants them the most money.

panther10758 Guest

Now thats foolish advice, if your sued it will be for even more!! Liens on property wage granishment could result do you really want that? By the way your wrong target is recouping losses. Heres just a few

. Wages of Loss Prevention staff
    . Monies lost while merchandise was off floor not for sale
    . Paperwork involved even when Police are not called
    . Cost of CCTV and other devices used to prevent/stop shoplifting

There is just a few the State allows retailers to take Civil Demand because its just and fair. Whats not fair is me and Redtoy paying higher prices for your crimes!

thanks for the advice. i contacted target and they are willing to take $50 a month for 10 months.

not thinking,
    when they took you to the back room, did they make you sign a paper that had the cost of the items you stole, ur name, date, time and stuff like that? or did they just make you sign the paper saying that youll never come to target again?

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    Now thats foolish advice, if your sued it will be for even more!! Liens on property wage granishment could result do you really want that? By the way your wrong target is recouping losses. Heres just a few

. Wages of Loss Prevention staff
    . Monies lost while merchandise was off floor not for sale
    . Paperwork involved even when Police are not called
    . Cost of CCTV and other devices used to prevent/stop shoplifting

There is just a few the State allows retailers to take Civil Demand because its just and fair. Whats not fair is me and Redtoy paying higher prices for your crimes!

I don't see how this makes sense. If you are Sued, they have to win first. That means IF they decide to proceed, they'll have to hire an attorney.

Better to be a man and stand on two feet and face your accuser than be a coward shivering in a corner.

The shoplifter did not hire loss prevention staff, so that is not his fault.
    The shoplifter did not buy CCTV so it's not his fault
    The shoplifter didn't demand they file paperwork, so it's not his fault
    The shoplifter didn't cause money loss since the Card box probably still had numerous packs for sale.

They only have the right to sue the shoplifter for the damage he caused to the store. It's not the shoplifters job to pay for the decisions that target makes for loss prevention.

The thought that panther says is a paradox. Cops wouldn't be needed if there wasn't crime, so cops should be thankful of the criminals. So should the contractors for jails, judges, and lawyers. Everybody should love em! Without crime, the economy would collapse! Crime keeps CCTV cameras in business, insurance companies, and power hungry security guards get their paycheck because of crime.

"Loss" is only superficial and not looking at the big picture. Direct loss to target - nothing as they recovered their merchandise. Otherwise, 4 bucks perhaps?

Being sued means that you are up for civil trial. You have a right to voice your side of it. You have to ask yourself, what did TARGET lose as a DIRECT result of your shoplifting? DIRECT. You took the cards. They recovered them. No loss directly as a result of you.

Quote Quoting yeshuaisiam
    View Post
    This is a funny area. They are charging you $500 for what?

Did you get to keep the cards?
    If not what did target lose to justify $500?

I've never understood shoplifting. If you "steal" but you don't keep what you stole, then what loss is it to the store? Why do they extort $500 from you for taking probably a couple of bucks worth of cards?

Especially if you don't get to keep the cards.... There were no losses.

I can't stand extortion.

I would send them $500 Mexican Pesos (pesos use the same symbol $ for their currency) if they didn't list U.S. Dollars specifically (500 pesos is 45 bucks). I'd also send it in cash and include a letter that you dropped the cash in a toilet filled with pee first and let it air dry. "just think of what you are holding". The letter is not legal, it's just as if I typed one to you.

If they sue you, it's civil. Remember, if you are sued you have the right to fight the charge. Ask questions like "what was it that caused $500 in losses to the store".

Or call them and say you are broke. You'll send them $50 U.S. That's all you have and if they sue you, you'll just file for bankruptcy.

Corporations shoot themselves in the foot. They'll look for a solutions that grants them the most money.
    The threat of bankruptcy over a $500 debt would not be wize. Sending foreign currency would not be wize. Telling them you're broke would not be wize. Inviting a civil suit would not be wize. Detailing your toileting habits would not be wize.

Listening to the idiotic, moronic, half assed, borderline maniacal advice found online would be far less than wize, however stealing 2 packs of baseball cards from Target wouldn't be wize, but you did it. Guess the unwize advice given by the idiotic, moronic, half assed, borderline maniacal yeshuaisiam would appear to be wize.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast