Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Answering Door with a Firearm in Hand

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida

Is it illegal to answer the door with a firearm in one hand (Barrel pointed down). Because debates.

Default Re: Answering Door with Firearm in Hand

A prosecutor might try to fit it into this statute:

790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree,

Someone who has come to your door and is met with an unholstered firearm could certainly feel threatened by such an act. It could also be argued that it is a careless and/or rude act.

Quote Quoting purebred
    View Post

Is it illegal to answer the door with a firearm in one hand (Barrel pointed down). Because debates.
    What debates?
    With whom?
    Why would you answer the door at all, if you felt threatened?
    Why not just call the police?

Firearm ownership carries a need for common sense and a knowledge of the laws.

Quote Quoting purebred
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida

Why would you do that??!! The only reason that comes to mind is that you had the intent to intimidate the person at the door thus opening you up to prosecution as free9man points out.

As adjusterjack points out, if you felt threatened, don't answer the door! Call the police! Answering the door with a gun in your hand is a recipe for disaster.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Another very real problem that you may face is, even if the firearm is pointed down, the person on the other end of the door may just state to the police that you "pointed the firearm at them" and then you will be arrested for aggravated assault. Florida Statute 784.021 (1) (a)

Pointing a firearm at someone in the state of Florida is a third-degree felony punishable with 5 years in prison, 5 years probation and or a $5,000 fine.

And if you hired an attorney to help you beat that charge, it would cost you upwards of $5,000. Morel of the story, keep the firearm holstered and call the police if you're a pansy.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    Morel of the story.
    That's moral.

Morel is a mushroom.

Have to inject some humor into this place even if it's about somebody's typos. LOL.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner
    This is what I was alluding to. An unholstered vs. a holstered weapon will likely illicit different reactions despite both generating some sort of initial shock response. Factor in your demeanor and approach when answering the door and the person .ay not even notice you have a gun to begin with or may not read too much into it. Thank you for providing that statute. That's a great reference point.
    Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    What debates?
    With whom?
    Why would you answer the door at all, if you felt threatened?
    Why not just call the police?

Firearm ownership carries a need for common sense and a knowledge of the laws.
    I appreciate your insight. You make valid points. However, you're over thinking it. I was discussing this topic with someone.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Why would you do that??!! The only reason that comes to mind is that you had the intent to intimidate the person at the door thus opening you up to prosecution as free9man points out.

As adjusterjack points out, if you felt threatened, don't answer the door! Call the police! Answering the door with a gun in your hand is a recipe for disaster.
    Oh man, the internet is serious business. No wonder they say men die earlier than women. 😂 Some of these responses are hilarious.

Why answer the door with a gun in hand at all? What manner of paranoia must you possess to answer a door with a firearm in hand? Or, is it merely an effort to feel uber-macho somehow? (Or, is this whole thread merely an exercise in raising the ire of posters here?)

If I lived somewhere such that I felt a need to answer the door with a gun when someone knocked or rang the bell, I'd move!
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Pointing a gun at someone in any situation is a extermely grave situation. If the person has a gun himself, he's got to make a snap decision as to make. Either way, it's not going to work out well. Even in the case of a justifiable shooting, you're going to have SERIOUS issues before all is said and done, even in a states like Florida with fairly generous SYG/Castle laws.

Quote Quoting purebred
    View Post
    This is what I was alluding to. An unholstered vs. a holstered weapon will likely illicit different reactions despite both generating some sort of initial shock response. Factor in your demeanor and approach when answering the door and the person .ay not even notice you have a gun to begin with or may not read too much into it. Thank you for providing that statute. That's a great reference point.
    The best way to handle it to avoid any potential misunderstandings is not to let them see the gun, holstered or not. Have it in the small of your back or concealed.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast