Default Amazon Set Default Payment Method As Their Credit Card,can I dispute the Negative Hit

Title is wrong and I can't fix it.
    The question is can I dispute the negative hit towards my credit?

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: California

I signed up for a Chase Credit Card through Amazon's program. Upon approval, Amazon updated my default payment method to the credit card without notifying me. In addition, I had never activated the card through Chase. I had made a few purchases through Amazon with the assumption that my payment method had not changed. I didn't get the statements, due to them being at a private mailbox (my fault). When I noticed the late payment
    showing on my credit report, I immediately contacted Chase and paid off my balance in full.

Can I dispute the negative credit score as a result of the late payment due to Amazon setting the Chase Card as my default payment method without me confirming the selection in addition to me not activating the Chase Card?

Default Re: Amazon Set Default Payment Method As Their Credit Card, Can I Dispute Late Fees

No, you're the one who screwed up. First, it's incumbent on you to note what the payment method is. It tells you on each purhcase.
    Second, when you get the bill for the card, it's you're job to pay or dispute it immediately. Late "FEES" do not show up on credit reports. Late payments do, but only after you are more than a month late paying. Do you not open your mail? Had you just missed the first payment, I can guarantee chase would have forgiven your late fee "just once." However, letting things go multiple months without even a minimum payment doesn't give you much option.

Amazon has ZERO responsibility here.
    You can prevail upon Chase that it was a new account setup error and see if they will remove the fees.

Default Re: Amazon Set Default Payment Method As Their Credit Card, Can I Dispute Late Fees

It was 30 day late fee and Chase did wave the fees. I'm trying to fix my score, not rectify the fees.

Missed May Payment, Paid June 2nd.

Edit:
    Fixed my post to Late Payment from Late Fees. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edit #2:
    D'oh I realized I put the wrong title.

I've had a Chase Amazon card and agree with flyingron that your problem is of your own making.

Every time I made an Amazon purchase I was given a choice of payment options that included the Chase card and my regular card and any gift card balance that I happened to have at the time.

With any credit card it's entirely up to the cardholder to keep track of what is going on.

You didn't.

Don't blame Chase or Amazon.

I don't have an Amazon card but I have two different cards linked to my account. It defaults to one but every single purchase it asks me which card I want to use.

Not Amazon's fault if you let the default stand without checking.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I don't have an Amazon card but I have two different cards linked to my account. It defaults to one but every single purchase it asks me which card I want to use.

Not Amazon's fault if you let the default stand without checking.
    I disagree. I don't think Amazon should default to any new card without approval. But everyone is right, it was on me to verify and monitor my accounts.

You can find other people stating that Amazon defaults the card, for example:

https://www.creditkarma.com/reviews/...ards-visa-card
    "Was approved for a $2500 limit, even though my Experian report shows a score of 645 and one old, charged off debt. The card was instantly added to my Amazon account as the default payment method, even though it was about another week before I received the card in the mail and could register on Chase's website. That part was kind of weird. I wasn't comfortable spending on a card when I couldn't even log in to make a payment, so I made sure not to use it until I had the physical card in my hand and had registered with Chase. I've now had the card for a couple of months, and I use it constantly. As with all my cards, I only use it for things I have the cash to pay off immediately, and I keep my statement utilization very low. I've made about $30 back in cash rewards in the two statement periods I've had the card. That's probably small potatoes to some people, but it's free money, and it's more than I make with my Discover card, so I'm happy.

Was this review helpful?"

I suspect that if you actually read the fine print, it will tell you about the default.

Quote Quoting Karuza
    View Post
    I disagree. I don't think Amazon should default to any new card without approval. But everyone is right, it was on me to verify and monitor my accounts.
    I agree that Amazon should leave to you to specify what card is the default; changing that automatically without at least a pop up box asking for confirmation first is a bit annoying. Note that they don't do that just for the credit card. Someone gave me an Amazon gift card and as soon as I registered the card to my account that gift card was the default. But Amazon's check out process clearly shows you each time you buy what payment method is being used and gives you the option to change it. You never want to assume anything in online purchases; always review everything before the hitting the final button to complete the purchase to ensure that it's what you want. Because you submitted the purchase request with that card for payment you are responsible for that. Of course, not noticing the default card change was not the only error on your part. Had you picked up your mail timely you would have seen the charges there, too, and could have paid them off. Also, if you had actually reviewed the bill for the card you did use you would have noticed the charges were NOT on there and could have promptly checked your transaction history and seen what card was charged and fixed it. So you made several mistakes along the way. Had you done any of those things you might not have ended up with the late fees. But you didnít, and those mistakes are on you. Itís a bit odd that someone who is diligent enough to check his/her credit report periodically nevertheless does not pick up mail timely and doesn't review the details of bills received from credit card companies. But at least the credit report check got you alerted to it before the reported delinquencies got even worse, dinging your credit more severely. And now you presumeably will take the steps not to repeat those mistakes, so there is the silver lining that you may end up preventing a similar or worse problem from happening in the future.

1. Sponsored Links