Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Why a Drivers License

Where are you seeing me referring to issuing a license? That's not at all what I'm saying - I"m saying that not all states will allow someone with a foreign license to drive within their state. Or at least, they will allow it only for a limited period of time.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Where are you seeing me referring to issuing a license? That's not at all what I'm saying - I"m saying that not all states will allow someone with a foreign license to drive within their state. Or at least, they will allow it only for a limited period of time.

Well, I figured that if they wouldn’t allow the foreign driver to use their foreign license the only alternate would be to obtain a state issued license.

Since it appears you are suggesting some states will not allow a foreign driver to use their foreign license, would you be kind enough to educate me as to what state(s) would not allow a foreign driver to drive in their state for a temporary period using their foreign license? I was under the belief all states allowed this.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Since it appears you are suggesting some states will not allow a foreign driver to use their foreign license, would you be kind enough to educate me as to what state(s) would not allow a foreign driver to drive in their state for a temporary period using their foreign license? I was under the belief all states allowed this.
    cbg was agreeing with you. She was just elaborating on your statement that some states will allow foreign drivers to drive in their state only for a temporary period. This is basically a reiteration of what you said, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly so problematic for you.

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    cbg was agreeing with you. She was just elaborating on your statement that some states will allow foreign drivers to drive in their state only for a temporary period. This is basically a reiteration of what you said, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly so problematic for you.

Rons post

As long as you are not residing in the US, you may use your foreign license in most states.

chg posted;

but not all

that is not in agreement to what I posted. Her statement is that it isn’t allowed in all states. I initially read that as the involved state requ the driver obtain a license from the state involved. She responded inferring that was not her meaning.

So the only other reading of “but not all” would mean that some states would not allow a foreign visitor to drive under their foreign license. Since my understanding is that all states allow this, I asked if she would educate me by providing a state that doesn’t allow this.

Im not seeing that as truly agreeing with me as her statements and my (possibly incorrect) understanding of the law are not in agreement.

I wasn’t being argumentative but was seeking to benefit from her knowledge

Okay, here's an example.

Rhode Island has a list of countries. If your country is on that list, you may drive on your foreign license for no longer than a year. If you're in the country to work for two years, tough, you'd better get an RI license if you expect to drive for the second year.

If your country is not on that list, you may not drive on your foreign license.

Default Re: Why Do You Need a Driver's License

Quote Quoting LawLover889
    View Post
    Why does one need a Drivers License?
    Only one who wishes to drive legally needs a driver's license.

View Post
    If the law states “The term “motor vehicle” means every description of carriage or other contrivance propelled or drawn by mechanical power and used for commercial purposes on the highways in the transportation of passengers, passengers and property, or property or cargo.
    This isn't a complete sentence. It's also not how your identified State of Wisconsin defines "motor vehicle." "Motor vehicle" is defined in section 194.01(7) of the Wisconsin Statutes as follows: "'Motor vehicle' means any automobile, truck, trailer, semitrailer, tractor, motor bus, or any self-propelled or motor driven vehicle, except a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, personal delivery device, or vehicle operated on rails."

View Post
    and that “A passenger is a rider who has paid a fare on a train, bus, airline, taxi, ship, ferry, automobile or other carrier in the business of transporting people for compensation.”
    What law do you think says this?

Default Re: Why Do You Need a Driver's License

View Post
    My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Wisconsin.

Why does one need a Drivers License?

If the law states “The term “motor vehicle” means every description of carriage or other contrivance propelled or drawn by mechanical power and used for commercial purposes on the highways in the transportation of passengers, passengers and property, or property or cargo. and that “A passenger is a rider who has paid a fare on a train, bus, airline, taxi, ship, ferry, automobile or other carrier in the business of transporting people for compensation.”

So if I’m not operating a commercial vehicle and being paid by other occupants of said vehicle why does one need to purchase a drivers license? Not trying to be cheeky just looking for an honest understanding of the law by someone who is a professional. I do hold a valid drivers license.
    I've watched some of those U-Tube videos of police stops. If you are citing the one I watched, the Narrator cites definitions from a law dictionary, like "Carriage" etc., that was issued in 1853. Hardly a good reference!!! Even laws become Desuetude in nature.

Statuary construction of Sovereign enactments, and federal laws, state that if words are not clear in their text meaning, that ordinary meanings and usage apply. Now I have seen case law where the Court's cite this, and use a CURRENT dictionary definition, not one from 1853.

See Hendricks v. Maryland, USSC, not about Statuary construction though.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2