Default How Can a Minor Get a Credit Card

I’m 17 and moving very far for college and I’ll be getting on a plane to move. I’ll be going back and forth abt four times a year also. I would like to get a credit card to a: start earning frequent flyer miles b: start building up my credit by paying for my flights only with my credit card and then paying them off and c: just to have one if I absolutely need it. However I won’t be turning 18 till September and I need to book my flight now to leave in August. Neither of my parents have credit cards so I can’t use theirs. Anyway, my question is what is the best way to go about trying to get one before I leave? And should I consider emancipation? If not, what are my options to try to get a credit card?

Default Re: Emancipation to Get a Credit Card

Understand that while being emancipation ALLOWS you to enter into a credit card contract, it doesn't OBLIGATE anybody to issue you one. Frankly, without a solid income and a credit history, your chances of getting a card at 17 is pretty darn non-existant.

Your best bet would be to have an adult coapply with you. I provided a credit card for my daughter when she was 16 (in fact, I just noticed I'm still sharing an account with her, though she's not used it and she's 34 now).

You didn't indicate your state, but emancipation is not a cakewalk in any state. In most, it's pretty near impossible to get other than in extraordianry circumstances.

Even without knowing what state you're in, I can pretty much guarantee you that an emancipation petition would be denied. In the extremely rare cases when it is granted, it is based on an already proven history of self-support where the minor NEEDS legal status for their own protection. Not because you want to start earning frequent flyer miles or book an airline flight to college.

do you have a bank account at a local bank? If so, go there and ask about their credit cards partners. They'd be the ones most likely to start you, but realize it will be at a very low credit limit and may or may not be enough for flight costs and/or emergencies.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Understand that while being emancipation ALLOWS you to enter into a credit card contract, it doesn't OBLIGATE anybody to issue you one. Frankly, without a solid income and a credit history, your chances of getting a card at 17 is pretty darn non-existant.
    Funny story about that. When I moved from NY to AZ years ago my bank cancelled my credit card because I had moved out of state. I applied for a new card in AZ and every application was turned down because the banks wanted six months residency and 6 months working. Around that same time I enrolled in a local college to take auto courses because I was working on my cars as a hobby. Several weeks later, to my surprise, I received pre-approved credit card offer in the mail because I was a student. Still didn't meet the job or residency requirements. All it took was being a student. Times have changed since then but it might still work for OP.

Either that, or parents get a card and make her an authorized user.

1. Sponsored Links