Thumbs up Getting Your Property Back After Your Ex- Kicks You Out

This is in the state of Colorado.

My ex-boyfriend told me to "leave" (that's a euphemism for how he actually put it) after a particularly nasty argument, which I did in March 2016. His parents own the house (it's a nice 4-2-2 in a safe neighborhood), and we have 3 minor children together, so even though it broke my heart, I left them with him because it was better than what I could provide them. I rented a tiny apartment in a bad area just because it was cheap, so that I could still afford to give him money for the children (he hasn't worked since I've known him, even now).

I didn't have the room to take all of my belongings with me so I had to leave some of the bigger things at the house. If it makes a difference, in the meantime I have been continuing to pay all of the car insurance, even on his vehicle which is more than mine because his vehicle is newer (2016 vs. 1999). This morning he emailed me at work and told me I need to come get my stuff this weekend. I am ok with that and I lined up people to help me (some of it is heavier than I can lift) so I told him by phone that I would be there at 9 a.m. this Saturday to pick it all up.

Now he is emailing me that he is not going to let me have it all, specifically excluding some sentimental/high-value items, and he has told me in the past that his lawyer says he has the right to keep all my stuff and not give it back to me. I can't afford a lawyer, but I need to know if that is true. If not, I expect things to turn ugly on Saturday morning so I am also wondering if I should request to have a police officer present to enforce that and make him allow me to get ALL my stuff. I need to know right away so that I can make arrangements as I only have two days before this goes down. Any help/advice you can give me would be appreciated more than you know. Thank you.

Default Re: Getting Your Property Back After Your Ex- Kicks You Out

Get what you can get. If he won't give you the rest of your property, sue him in small claims court.

You are, of course, free to check if the local police department will give you a "civil assist". That's a courtesy -- not something that they have to do.

Default Re: Getting Your Property Back After Your Ex- Kicks You Out

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Get what you can get. If he won't give you the rest of your property, sue him in small claims court.

You are, of course, free to check if the local police department will give you a "civil assist". That's a courtesy -- not something that they have to do.
    I agree, but I will add that its very likely that he is lying to you about what his attorney said, if he even consulted an attorney at all.

1. Sponsored Links