Default Neighbor’s Video Camera is Pointed Directly into My Backyard

My question involves personal property located in the State of: California

My neighbor has placed a video camera from her second story bedroom window pointing down into my backyard. Specifically where my children play basketball. There is no question that this camera is pointed directly into my backyard only. I know some cameras are used to monitor your own property and may catch portions of the neighbors property. That is NOT the case here.
    We have had some previous trouble with her in regards to her being annoyed by the kids playing basketball and her stating it to be inconvenient to throw the ball back over when it goes over the fence. She has admitted to throwing a ball into the canyon behind our houses.
    I have never had any expectation to get our ball back immediately...and I have told my kids once it goes over, hopefully you will get it back sometime within the next day or few days...whenever the neighbor comes across it. I also try to be very conscience about the times they play - as to be understanding that she works from home. Not too early, no screaming and not to play for hours on end.
    Despite this, seems she felt it necessary to place a camera on them.
    I feel this is incredibly intrusive and unnecessary. I have attempted to speak with her but she refuses to answer when I knock on her door. The local police are not much help and honestly I hate to bother them over this when I know I would rather them take care of the more important crimes! They have stated that unless it points into a bedroom or bathroom, the law is kind of grey in regards to this new technology.
    What do you think? Do I have any privacy rights? Any legal action I can take to make her take it down or at least point it away from where my children play?
    Thanks

Default Re: Neighbor’s Video Camera Pointed Directly into My Backyard

We get this question a lot.

Unfortunately, what she is doing is legal and there is no recourse. She can tape what she can see.

Audio has limitations, but video doesn't, as long as she is aiming the camera just at your yard.

Ignore it.

Or, you can aim a camera at her yard and let her know that yours stays up as long as hers stays up.

Oh, I recall reading a suggestion about aiming a high power flood light at her camera to distort her video.

No need to spend all the money on flood lights. A cheap laser pointer will dazzle the lens.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    No need to spend all the money on flood lights. A cheap laser pointer will dazzle the lens.
    Good idea.

Easy to attach to the house with a bracket.

Default Re: Neighbor’s Video Camera is Pointed Directly into My Backyard

Quote Quoting Cdrewbee
    View Post
    There is no question that this camera is pointed directly into my backyard only.
    FWIW, looks can be deceiving.

I own an apartment building in a community so bad that HUD deliberately cut its Section 8 assistance to encourage residents to move to a better neighborhood. To discourage graffiti and vandalism, I have video cameras around the property that are focused solely on my building's walls, windows and the adjacent sidewalk to discourage vandalism, break-ins, graffiti and to record anyone engaging in such acts. Nonetheless, the direction in which the cameras are physically mounted reates the erroneous appearance they are focused on the entire street and I get frequent requests for video review from neighbors every time they are the victim of a hit and run, or from the police whenever there is a robbery or a homicide nearby. The only way to convince them that my cameras do not view their area of concern is to send them still shots of my walls, showing the actual limitations of the camera's viewing areas.

Don't assume anything about what your neighbor's cameras actually see versus what you think they are pointed at. Sometimes a camera lense viewing area can be very limited.

Quote Quoting L-1
    View Post

Don't assume anything about what your neighbor's cameras actually see versus what you think they are pointed at. Sometimes a camera lense viewing area can be very limited.
    An excellent observation. Too often today we assume things that may turn out not to be true. Especially when we assume others are doing something nefarious. It is better to first verify what is really going on whenever possible rather than simply assuming something.

Buy a backstop net (like this)https://www.seamarnets.com/category/101005 and hang privacy fabric from it. That will solve both the problem of the kids' balls going into her yard AND give you peace of mind that she can't watch your kids play.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Lenses have various focal lengths and widths. Without knowing that info you cannot reasonably assume that the camera is looking into your backyard.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links