Question Lawyer is Trying to Settle for the Policy Limit

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Kansas

About 6 months ago I was a part of a pretty bad accident. I was severely injured and the opposing party was at fault and their insurance company took full liability. I just received my demand letters, ETC. and my case adds up to $1,057,068. In the demand letter my lawyer first asked for the $1,000,000, but then on the very last page he said he'd settle for Policy Limit. I have to receive nerve ablations for the rest of my life which cost about $7,000 every 6 months. My Lawyer is trying to settle for $125,000 which makes absolutely no sense to me. That will not be enough to pay off my medical bills, or my ablations. I've added it up myself and it would cost me at least $300,000. What should I do and what can I do in this situation. Do I need to get a new lawyer? Or am I just screwed. Thanks.

Default Re: Lawyer Trying to Settle for Policy Limit

Does the party you’re suing have millions of dollars you could take should you win more than the $125,000 in court?

also undertsnd that your lawyer doesn’t accept anything. You are the only person able to say yes or no to a given offer.

Default Re: Lawyer Trying to Settle for Policy Limit

Quote Quoting ItsSummer1177
    View Post
    I've added it up myself and it would cost me at least $300,000. What should I do and what can I do in this situation. Do I need to get a new lawyer? Or am I just screwed.
    Your lawyer can't get more out of an insurance company than the policy limit.
    And nobody can collect a judgment from somebody who has no money and can file bankruptcy (unless the accident was caused by DUI).

Getting another lawyer will only mean you pay two lawyers out of your settlement.

Now take out your own car insurance policy and find out what your Underinsured Motorist coverage limit is. You may be able to get additional money out of your own insurance.

As for your lawyer, have him do an asset check on the defendant if he hasn't done so already.

He can also negotiate lien compromises with your medical providers and medical insurance company. Talk to him about that, too.

He can also reduce his fee.

1. Sponsored Links