Default Can a Private School Withhold Transcripts

My question involves education law in the State of: Arkansas. Our son has autism and was placed in a private school by us. During his time there he was bullied. It was an ongoing battle with the private school. Realizing we would need to place him elsewhere we began an IEP procress (which included the principal and private school teacher). The school stated in meetings there was no adverse affect to my child, though I reminded them of the bullying via emails with them and videos. We have since pulled our child from the private school. The withdrawal form asks if records should go to new school or parent. We marked parent with our address, since to date our son is not enrolled anywhere. The private school is refusing to release the records to us. They advised us they do receive federal money so they can do as they wish. We do not owe them any money. In fact, they overcharged us and we are waiting on reimbursement from them.

Default Re: Can a Private School Withhold Transcripts

Why are they withholding transcripts?

Quote Quoting cmhorine
    View Post
    They advised us they do receive federal money so they can do as they wish.
    I’m going to guess you meant to say that the school told you it does NOT receive any federal funds. The federal law called the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulates how private schools receiving federal funds and public schools handle student records. But a private school that does not receive federal funds is not covered by this act. It appears that Arkansas does not have a law that mandates private schools give students or parents copies of records, either.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Why are they withholding transcripts?
    We don't know. They won't answer why when we ask. Just keep saying they don't have to provide them to the parents.

Yes sorry. NOT

You are correct I can find know law that requires an Arkansas school to give you the transcript. When you enroll your child in school have that school request them. If they don't get a lawyer involved.

One option: Get a lawyer, sue them for breach of contract and, if they don't relent, get a copy of the grades through discovery.

Quote Quoting cmhorine
    View Post
    We don't know. They won't answer why when we ask. Just keep saying they don't have to provide them to the parents.

Yes sorry. NOT
    They will provide his records to a new school. They will not provide them to you.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    They will provide his records to a new school. They will not provide them to you.
    While it is possible that they would provide the records to a new school, we in fact have no way of knowing if that's the issue or if they are in fact willing to do so.

1. Sponsored Links