Default How Long Does a Homicide Investigation Take

My question involves police conduct in the State of: Anywhere really

How long does the average homicide/murder investigation take. I'm reading up on the CSI Effect where they say an investigation can take between 2 weeks and never. I know some cases a suspect is found and proven guilty (either by circumstance or confession) but I feel the people on other forums stating it only take 2-3 days to solve a normal case are exaggerating.

If any one could help that would be amazing!

Default Re: How Long is the Average Homicide Investigation

There is no "average" homicide case. They are all different. The investigation can take as little as 10 minutes (suspect on scene, admits and explains why) to never. Stranger on stranger homicides are going to take a lot longer than a domestic dispute where the situation can be assessed quickly.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    There is no "average" homicide case. They are all different. The investigation can take as little as 10 minutes (suspect on scene, admits and explains why) to never. Stranger on stranger homicides are going to take a lot longer than a domestic dispute where the situation can be assessed quickly.
    Admitting that you killed someone does not end an investigation. It still has to be proven, which takes longer than ten minutes.

Quote Quoting Brian57
    View Post
    Admitting that you killed someone does not end an investigation. It still has to be proven, which takes longer than ten minutes.
    Actually it doesnít have to be proven although there will be an investigation. What will be determined is whether the admitted killerís story is consistent with the facts on hand.

Near me a guy killed his live in girlfriend. He went to the police station and confessed. They went to the scene and recorded the facts and evidence present (ya never know when somebody may recant). There was no need to prove anything other than the info the defendant reported was consitsnt with the facts at the scene.

But yes, they spend hours recording the facts and documenting evidence.

As a guy who actually HAS done homicide investigations, I'll agree with the statement that there is no "average" homicide investigation. Each is driven by its own unique set of circumstances. And while the pertinent facts may be known in ten minutes, it will take weeks to prepare the case so even an "open and shut" case is not likely to go to trial within a couple of months and facts may still be being compiled for months or a year or more after an incident depending on the details and the defense being raised.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links