Default How to Evict a Contractor Who Moved Into a Home During Renovations

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Colorado.

The person moved in about the beginning of last December and is telling neighbors it's his place. I need to get him out so I can get a new contractor there who will finish the job right. I gave assent at the beginning, but everything shows he's living there, not just "watching" the place.

Default Re: Contractor Moved into My Rental to "Protect" the Tools and Materials- I Want to E

Quote Quoting camel1971
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Colorado.

The person moved in about the beginning of last December and is telling neighbors it's his place. I need to get him out so I can get a new contractor there who will finish the job right. I gave assent at the beginning, but everything shows he's living there, not just "watching" the place.
    Give him notice to quit the place. If he does not move out, then file for an eviction.

Default Re: Contractor Moved into My Rental to "Protect" the Tools and Materials- I Want to E

Wow, that's a new one on me.

Where did you get this guy from?
    Is he licensed, bonded, insured?
    Does he have a business location that he works out of?
    Did you get any references?
    Do you live far away from the property so you can't make daily inspections?

Whatever you are having him do there, I find it hard to imagine that it's taking over 6 months.

I guess you can start by going to the property and telling him to leave, that he's trespassing, and call the police if he doesn't leave. Make sure you hand him written notice in front of a witness. Wait there until he packs up and leaves, and be prepared to change the locks as soon as he does. If he doesn't leave, call the police. If the police don't get rid of him, you are going to need a lawyer.

I try to control myself but end up compelled to say this. The only way something like this happens is if the owner LET'S IT happen.

Yes, I could have done much better. So can I use the trespassing to get rid of him or do I have to do a quit notice. Based on the time he was there, the quit notice in CO indicates a 28 day period until he MUST leave, so if I can get him out for trespassing, I'd much prefer it.

Quote Quoting camel1971
    View Post
    Yes, I could have done much better. So can I use the trespassing to get rid of him or do I have to do a quit notice. Based on the time he was there, the quit notice in CO indicates a 28 day period until he MUST leave, so if I can get him out for trespassing, I'd much prefer it.
    You can try the trespassing, but there is at least a 50/50 chance that it won't work.

Default Re: How to Evict a Contractor Who Moved Into a Home During Renovations

I decided to go with the 28-day notice. I didn't plan out the time well as the end day fell in the middle of vacation. During that time, I agreed to let the individual (sub to original contractor) to stay in the house to paint the interior at a discounted price, not having considered that this could negate the original quit notice. Both names were on the quit notices.

Does my original quit notice still hold or do I need a new one? How long do I have to do the next step after the quit notice period ends. Thank you.

Default Re: How to Evict a Contractor Who Moved Into a Home During Renovations

As you chose to barter more work for rent, you chose to create a new or continuing tenancy and thus you have to start over with a new notice to quit. You can serve your new notice at any time, and the clock will start on your new notice at that time.

1. Sponsored Links