Default Asset Division After Divorce in a Foreign Country

My question involves a marriage in the state of:Florida

My wife and I recently got divorced in a foreign country (got married in the same country ~20 years ago), with all the foreign property being divided equally, according to the country's laws. We both have two citizenships (US and the other country). From what I understand, we don't need to file for divorce in the US - is that so?

Assuming the answer to the question above is yes, what type of agreement we need to make to divide our US based assets (mostly cars and bank accounts). The family lawyer I consulted with says we can't do a standard Florida asset separation agreement because, technically, we are already divorced. I want to do it cleanly so that she can't go after me in 3 years. In general, we can agree on how to split everything, I just want to do in a way that can't be disputed later. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Asset Division After Divorce in a Foreign Country

Quote Quoting polk2244
    View Post
    My question involves a marriage in the state of:Florida

My wife and I recently got divorced in a foreign country (got married in the same country ~20 years ago), with all the foreign property being divided equally, according to the country's laws. We both have two citizenships (US and the other country). From what I understand, we don't need to file for divorce in the US - is that so?

Assuming the answer to the question above is yes, what type of agreement we need to make to divide our US based assets (mostly cars and bank accounts). The family lawyer I consulted with says we can't do a standard Florida asset separation agreement because, technically, we are already divorced. I want to do it cleanly so that she can't go after me in 3 years. In general, we can agree on how to split everything, I just want to do in a way that can't be disputed later. Thanks in advance!
    Just draw up a contract between the two of you and each keep a copy. You really should have included it in your foreign divorce since you are in agreement, but since you did not, make a contract.

Thanks. Is there a template for such contract? Or free form singed by both will do?

You may be able to formalize your agreement under the laws of the nation in which you divorced. In some divorces it is necessary to bring an ancillary proceeding to address the division of property in another jurisdiction, but that's normally only necessary for titled property where the parties to the divorce cannot agree and cooperate on its division.

If you and your ex- are in agreement, it makes sense to expeditiously carry out the agreement such that it is no longer an issue. You should be able to close joint accounts and transfer vehicle titles over a short amount of time.

1. Sponsored Links