Default Do You Need a Lawyer to Apply for a Pardon or Clemency

Over a decade ago I was charged with a sex crime against an adult, of which I took this to trial and lost.

As you can imagine it's pretty difficult to survive when nobody will give you a decent job and almost anyone who finds out thinks you're a monster. After over a decade of having a sex offender designation in Florida I can't find any other options than filing for a Full Pardon. The process seems pretty straight forward, and I did call the office of clemency where I was told I qualified to file (The woman on the phone was very sweet and recommended adding notes of reference to the Pardon when submitted). I don't speak the language of the law and maybe I'm missing something that could help or hurt me in filing.

I understand getting a lawyer can help, but I can't afford to throw money at someone if it's just to have them hand in my paperwork. What can a lawyer really do to help me that I can't do myself here?

Default Re: Sexual Predator Looking for a Full Pardon

Laws vary by state. If we are to infer that you are in Florida, then you can review rules governing clemency here, and review a FAQ here. The application form and associated instructions are reasonably straightforward.

If you want, you can interview some lawyers (without retaining them) and see what they believe that they can do for you if you hire them. Based upon what you learn, and your own assessment of your ability to complete the application process and advocate for yourself in any subsequent proceedings, you can decide if it is worth the money to retain a lawyer.

I can say this: Pardons are rarely granted, and you may be looking at a particularly uphill fight when seeking the pardon of a sex offense.

Thank you Mr. Knowitall. I have put out requests with 3 different law offices to talk about this very topic, one of which I have an appointment with tomorrow. There has to be someone out there that has gotten a full pardon with some wisdom or tips that helped them. The law doesn't care about you as a person, it just wants to deal with the crime. This is the one and only crime I've every been charged with. If anyone has any other advise, please post.

And it would take a FULL PARDON, not just a rights restoration to remove the registration requirements. The one thing that can be said about having a lawyer, is that in many cases you have limited opportunities to make such requests and it's best not to blunder into it and get turned down.

I agree with everything Mr. K-i-a said here.

You do however need to remove the chip on your shoulder that the "law" is out to get you. Such attitude will get you nowhere, in fact, it will hinder your attempts to obtain the relief you are looking for.

Thank you Flyingron.

As I stated I am looking into recruiting a lawyer, as I don't think it's a bad idea. I'm just hoping to find someone that has a bit of fire under them. I do understand from all I've read this is a very slow process so I am willing to take my time to get it done correctly the first time. Also I don't mean to come off as having a chip on my shoulder, I believe that enough comes over these folks desks that they are not going to take the time to research me very far and I will have to have something to show I'm more than just my charges. That is why I'll be adding the supplementary documents from people in and around my life to the filing. I think 25-50 should do. Though I don't expect them to read them all, I hope that the volume will get some positive attention.

You are doing it again. I'm not trying to be criticial, but your postings here read poorly and it is exactly WHY you shouldn't be the one making the proposal. You shouldn't intimate that the "law is out to get you" or that the public servents are lazy/busy and not going to do their job. It may sound innocent to you, but understand that a pardon is an entirely subjective evaluation, and the way you write, it comes out that you blame everybody but yourself. Not a good attitude to show if you're trying to get a pardon.

I am doing my research on this process and though I am at the beginning of that research what I've found so far is this. After submitting the proper paperwork a response will be received stating it has been received and not to send a duplicate. Before a case gets it's day someone or a team of individuals will interview those involved possibly including everyone from the victim to the judge, and review the case itself and it's charges. Everything in a persons life could come into account from their driving record, past criminal record, etc. These findings will be presented to those who will be making the final decision along with the source material. At the point where the request for a full pardon is seen in court an amount of time determined by the board will be given to plead as to why you should be given a said full pardon before a decision is made. Should you be denied reapplication is allowed.

I guess what I'm looking for is someone who has filed for a full pardon as/for a sex offender and advice they can give specific to a non romeo and juliet related case. Every Pardon granted that I've been able to fine was this type of case.

Also if I'm missing any steps in here please let me know so I can look into them as well

1. Sponsored Links