Default Can a Father Voluntariy Relinquish His Paternal Rights

My question involves adoption law for the State of: Washington

So I live in the state of Arizona and my ex lives in Washington, and we have 2 kids together however; the kids do not know who I am because our relationship was a very toxic and unhealthy relationship. She has then found a new boyfriend who she is engaged too and he wants to adopt them.

Is there a way to voluntarily give up my rights so he can adopt them? They know him as dad and has been that way for about 2 years now(they are 2 and 3 years old). From what she has told me he is a great father to them and we agreed on him adopting them and me giving up my rights if that is possible. I want the kids to have the best life possible and that life is in Washington with them. I don't want to confuse the kids by going back and fourth from their house to my house. My ex and I do not get along at all and it is impossible to have a decent conversation without arguing, but this is something that we both agreed on and we both want what is best for the kids and it with herself and her fiancee. So I could use all the advice and help possible. Thank you kindly.

Default Re: Relinquish My Paternal Rights

Quote Quoting mhunter4
    View Post
    My question involves adoption law for the State of: Washington

So I live in the state of Arizona and my ex lives in Washington, and we have 2 kids together however; the kids do not know who I am because our relationship was a very toxic and unhealthy relationship. She has then found a new boyfriend who she is engaged too and he wants to adopt them. Is there a way to voluntarily give up my rights so he can adopt them? They know him as dad and has been that way for about 2 years now(they are 2 and 3 years old). From what she has told me he is a great father to them and we agreed on him adopting them and me giving up my rights if that is possible. I want the kids to have the best life possible and that life is in Washington with them. I don't want to confuse the kids by going back and fourth from their house to my house. My ex and I do not get along at all and it is impossible to have a decent conversation without arguing, but this is something that we both agreed on and we both want what is best for the kids and it with herself and her fiancee. So I could use all the advice and help possible. Thank you kindly.
    She has to actually get married to her fiancÚ and be married for about a year or so before a stepparent adoption would be possible. So, nothing can happen until that happens.

There is no limit set on how long a stepparent must be married to the parent in order for a stepparent adoption to take place.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    There is no limit set on how long a stepparent must be married to the parent in order for a stepparent adoption to take place.
    That's correct.

If she marries and she and her new husband petition for stepparent adoption, its easy to consent to the adoption -- but you can't force their time table. If they are not quick to commence adoption proceedings or decide not to do so, their choices govern.

1. Sponsored Links