Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bought a Damaged Car from a Dealer on Ebay

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Florida. I bought a Mercedes CLA for my daughter via "make an offer" on eBay. The pictures looked great. There were no mentions of damages or broken items. Had it shipped to West Memphis Arkansas expecting the normal wear and tear of a car with 27k miles on it. Instead, found a huge dent on trunk, 2 front tires that had to be replaced, multiple sratches and scuffs on the body, cut gas cap cord and missing buttons on the air conditioner. The missing buttons controls the fan speed and the directionals. therefore, the fan speed stays on the lowest setting. Not much help in keeping you cool in the hot summer.

I have pictures from the transporter pointing out the damages on the body prior to picking up from the dealer and I have texts from the sales manager stating he was not aware of the dent and how he would ensure it gets fixed. So far nothing and now, they are not returning my calls. A lesson learned on buying via ebay and assumption of honesty.

Do I have any legal recourse?

Default Re: Bought a Damaged Car from a Dealer on Ebay

Quote Quoting daisan
    View Post

Do I have any legal recourse?
    No.

You had every opportunity to go see the car before buying. Or at least hire somebody there to go see if for you. There are services everywhere that will do that.

You've joined the ranks of the many who scammed themselves because they bought a car long distance without checking it out.

It's no surprise that the seller isn't returning your calls.

I hope there aren't any more surprises in store for you.

Does this apply to your situation at all?

eBay Motors > Buy > Vehicle Purchase Protection
    http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/purchase-protection

Thanks, I will contact eBay and let's see what happens.

Good luck! I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out.

I also wonder about how you paid--if you paid by credit card or Paypal, there may be more paths for you to attempt to get some help.

Financed at 4, much less than current investment

Quote Quoting daisan
    View Post
    Thanks, I will contact eBay and let's see what happens.
    Instead of "contacting" eBay I suggest you READ the Vehicle Purchase Protection and follow the instructions to the letter instead of relying on what somebody tells you on the phone or by email.

Frankly, though, I seriously doubt that your situation would be covered because of the following exclusion:

17.Any damage that could have been discovered upon a reasonable inspection before you paid for and picked up the vehicle in person.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Instead of "contacting" eBay I suggest you READ the Vehicle Purchase Protection and follow the instructions to the letter instead of relying on what somebody tells you on the phone or by email.

Frankly, though, I seriously doubt that your situation would be covered because of the following exclusion:

17.Any damage that could have been discovered upon a reasonable inspection before you paid for and picked up the vehicle in person.
    Well, considering the capitalization of READ, you must have skipped the part of me shipping it and not picking it up in person.

I am sure you will jump on the definition of reasonable.

I did fail on my due diligence...It can be fixed in the future, You on the other hand...Thanks for your response.

Did the seller REQUIRE that you have the car shipped to you? Did you not have the option to go pick up the car?

It was in Florida and I was in Arkansas. Therefore, transport was the most viable option. Therefore, he found a shipper for me. I was too trusting and when he texted me apologizing and stating he will make it right and fix it, I fell for it. He even negotiated a price to fix it with my local body shop. Its not easy being a rube.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast