Default Can a Doctor Charge You Extra to Fill Out FMLA Papers

My wife was recently diagnosed with a mental disability. She requires some hospital stays. We filled out FMLA papers for both of our em0loyers. Her shrink said that if we want him to fill his part out, that we have to pay him $150-$250. Is that legal, and why can't he do it at her appointment? He said, "insurance does not cover his personal time", to take 2 min to fill out his portion. He also told us to fill it out for him, even tho it's says to be filled out by physician. Isn't that fraud? We have insurance, we've brought him the papers twice. Said he will sign it if we fill it out.

Default Re: Can a Doctor Charge You Extra to Fill Out FMLA Papers

It is legal for doctors to charge to fill out forms. Insurance does not pay doctors to fill out paperwork. How many questions are there ? How many pages ?

Probably nothing wrong with you filling it out for him providing it's what he would say anyway.

Personally, I would be getting a new shrink after that.

As long as the doctor signs the form, he is attesting to what is written there. So while I think he's being a bit petty about the details, I don't see that there's an actual problem.

1. It is perfectly legal
    2. Insurance does not cover this (not medical care)
    3. In the past when doctor's did not have so many forms to fill out, paperwork for insurance, and were generally compensated better they did this for free. However, more and more doctors now want to be paid for yet another intrusion on their family/personal time. It is too bad it has come to this but when people think health care should be free and a right so expect to see more fees, more restricted doctors hours, and a generally deteriorating health care system.

I would recommend to pay him and thank him for taking time out of his personal time to do it.

1. Sponsored Links