Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Bank Freeze for Child Support Arrears

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: NY

I have been making my child support payments for the past 4 years via my job as the child support garnished my check so the payments have been made every pay period for like I said 4 years of my employment. Well the other day I see my bank accounts health accounts were all frozen due my arrears (of which I cannot stress enough) have been removed from my account for 5 years. So with this being said if my payments are being met bi weekly why did they freeze my account(s).
    Now that my accounts are frozen I cannot get to work, eat, etc.

My wife has a separate account so do I now have to live off her salary which is far less than mine? What are my options on this?

Default Re: Bank Freeze for Child Support Arrears

Are you saying that you do NOT have any arrears?

Have you confirmed with the bank that the freeze is due to an order issued in the child support case, not some other issue?

Assuming that payment is through a Child Support Office, what did you learn when you called the office and asked why they took action against your bank accounts when you were making the court-ordered payments toward arrears through wage garnishment?

No not at all I am in arrears and making the payments on time every month for years? Why this freezing of accounts now?

I called the child support help information and they did say it was because of the arrears I owed. I just want to know why after so many years of making payments and now they decide to freeze my accounts.

So you arranged to pay the arrears in payments as an addition to your normal CS payment? How much is left in arrears?

You need to call the child support agency and find out what it going on.

Yes I really need to understand this my as I have NOT missed a payment in 4 years as they remove it from my check? I have come to accept that but this is not expected at all. It was totally out of the blue? I am going to be calling again today to hopefully get some new answers on this? But any outside help from this page will be appreciated.

There is really nothing we can add until you have contacted the child support agency to find out why the account has been frozen.

Thanks

Quote Quoting JB125
    View Post
    Yes I really need to understand this my as I have NOT missed a payment in 4 years as they remove it from my check? I have come to accept that but this is not expected at all. It was totally out of the blue? I am going to be calling again today to hopefully get some new answers on this? But any outside help from this page will be appreciated.
    Let's be clear on what is going on. The payments taken out for the past 4 years, is that due to an agreement that says you can pay off the arrears by a certain amount that is then deducted through a wage deduction or garnishment that you agreed to? Or did the child support enforcement agency simply slap a wage garnishment on you 4 years ago and you just accepted that as a way to pay it off and let it keep going for 4 years? If it is the latter then you had no payment plan here, and sooner or later they were going to come around looking for more ways to collect what you owe.

OK I just spoke to the NY child support help line? They informed my I needed to fill out the mistake/complaint form they sent in the mail which I did and sent back to them yesterday. They have 30 days to review my case and will let me know if and when my accounts will be released. I am sure I will never see the funds removed from my account as they will most likely go to to what I owe in arrears. The customer service rep says the amount was an agreement and they will let me know what the next process is after they get the papers I sent in. This is seemly like to be an ongoing issue for sometime. Now I do see that the ther is no interest on this but when I look at my credit report I can see the decline on the payments but then they send me their papers in the mail it's MORE? Maybe they just don't update as fast as Credit Karma and Experian?
    All and all I guess it is just a waiting game at this point.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast