Default In Collections for Children's Medical Debt That I Didn't Know About

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: CA

I am required by court order to pay 50% of uninsured medical expenses for my two kids. My ex is the custodial parent and she lives about 200 miles away. Obviously she is the one that takes them to regular doctors appointments.

I just checked my credit report and learned that as of last month I am in collections for a dental office where the kids live. The debt was apparently reported to collections two years ago. My ex never told me about a bill. The dental office has never contacted me.

My ex doesn't pay her bills, so I'm not completely surprised something like this happened. Every time we go to court for child support issues I ask her to disclose her any outstanding medical debts for this specific reason. As recently as last year she stated in a declaration that there were no outstanding medical debts.

I'd like to get this debt collection off my credit report. I don't know where to start.

Default Re: In Collections for Children's Medical Debt That I Didn't Know About

First step, pay the bill. When you do ask the dental office what the total amount of the original bill was so you know if you are paying 50% or 100%.

Even if you are ordered to be paying 50% your wife should not be adding you as the "responsible party". If she did get proof of that next time for your next visit with the judge.

1. Sponsored Links