Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Counseling Requirements for Court

Quote Quoting OKisNotOK
    View Post
    You consider your vacation to be more important than counselor visits? Wow!
    Our vacation is booked, it's in two weeks, and non refundable. I'm not going to lose $8000 because he decided after a year that he wants counseling with my kids RIGHT NOW. He was made aware of vacation times in December of 2017. My daughter gets her own counseling for the last 3 years, every 1-2 weeks. Don't take it upon yourself to insinuate that my child's mental health isn't a priority. He has had 52 other weeks to do this and is just now deciding it must happen in the middle of camp and vacation. Also, my children and I did nothing wrong in this situation, so yes, our lives shouldn't be put on hold for him to play games.

Once your son turns 18 he is a legal adult and no longer subject to court orders, so no, he won't have to go once he turns 18. How old is your daughter?

Quote Quoting PMMH
    View Post
    Our vacation is booked, it's in two weeks, and non refundable. I'm not going to lose $8000 because he decided after a year that he wants counseling with my kids RIGHT NOW. He was made aware of vacation times in December of 2017. My daughter gets her own counseling for the last 3 years, every 1-2 weeks. Don't take it upon yourself to insinuate that my child's mental health isn't a priority. He has had 52 other weeks to do this and is just now deciding it must happen in the middle of camp and vacation. Also, my children and I did nothing wrong in this situation, so yes, our lives shouldn't be put on hold for him to play games.

Once your son turns 18 he is a legal adult and no longer subject to court orders, so no, he won't have to go once he turns 18. How old is your daughter?

You REALLY need to push for any visitation with dad to be supervised once the counseling finally happens. You also need to really insist that HIS counseling address the sexually inappropriate issues before counseling starts with your daughter.

Quote Quoting OKisNotOK
    View Post
    You consider your vacation to be more important than counselor visits? Wow!
    I would think so too when he had a year to start the counseling and waited until a vacation he's known about for six months...yeah she has it right.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    You REALLY need to push for any visitation with dad to be supervised once the counseling finally happens. You also need to really insist that HIS counseling address the sexually inappropriate issues before counseling starts with your daughter.
    We (attorney and I) are going to file for a hearing on the counseling. Since HE provided the records and they clearly show that he has not addressed any of the issues he was ordered to counseling for, it's basically pointless. He thinks if he makes it impossible for her to attend, then he can file for contempt and I will be in trouble.

Quote Quoting PMMH
    View Post
    We (attorney and I) are going to file for a hearing on the counseling. Since HE provided the records and they clearly show that he has not addressed any of the issues he was ordered to counseling for, it's basically pointless. He thinks if he makes it impossible for her to attend, then he can file for contempt and I will be in trouble.
    That is foolish on his part. Even if he could possibly get you scolded by the judge, or even fined by the judge, its not going to change what he has done and what he needs to do to work on the problem.

Quote Quoting PMMH
    View Post
    You have an attorney. You really need to be talking to your attorney about this ... we cannot, and absolutely should not, be second-guessing your attorney.

I'm definitely not asking anyone here to override my attorney. I had just received the contempt threats and was awaiting a response from my attorney. I scanned all of the documents, sent him all of the correspondence, and we discussed what all we wanted to include in the filing a little while ago. My biggest fear now is that the courts are so backed up that it's going to take probably 6-8 weeks for a hearing, and in that time I'm going to have to hope he doesn't decide to file a contempt charge. I've notified him of schedules and offered alternatives, so I feel like my bases are covered in that respect.

Quote Quoting PMMH
    View Post
    I'm definitely not asking anyone here to override my attorney. I had just received the contempt threats and was awaiting a response from my attorney. I scanned all of the documents, sent him all of the correspondence, and we discussed what all we wanted to include in the filing a little while ago. My biggest fear now is that the courts are so backed up that it's going to take probably 6-8 weeks for a hearing, and in that time I'm going to have to hope he doesn't decide to file a contempt charge. I've notified him of schedules and offered alternatives, so I feel like my bases are covered in that respect.
    Don't be so afraid of him filing a contempt charge. You are not in contempt unless a judge says you are in contempt. Your motions will have been filed in court already and its likely that your motions and the contempt would be heard at the same time.

I know I shouldn't be intimidated by it, that's why he uses it. I don't know why I'm so freaked out by it. I guess because I know he's facing jail time for his contempt and I don't want that to happen to me. I try to do everything by the book and follow the decree exactly to avoid this.

Quote Quoting PMMH
    View Post
    I know I shouldn't be intimidated by it, that's why he uses it. I don't know why I'm so freaked out by it. I guess because I know he's facing jail time for his contempt and I don't want that to happen to me. I try to do everything by the book and follow the decree exactly to avoid this.
    It takes a fairly long history of contempt before someone would face potential jail time for contempt. You are no where near there from what I can see. In addition, its not contempt unless a judge says its contempt. Dad is attempting to make arbitrary appointments without consulting with you and with no regards for the child's schedule. It is not contempt for you to say that she cannot make that appointment and to offer other alternatives.

It is particularly not contempt since he has not addressed the sexually inappropriate issues in his own counseling sessions.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast