Default What Will Happen After Your Spouse is Charged With DV 1

My question involves criminal law for the state of: WA

My husband has recently started using hard drugs and was on a binder, hadn't slept in 6 days. I confronted him and he attacked me. Cops were called by a family member, he was charged with DV1 and harassment. I don't want him to have a felony and be taken away from our family. he just needs help and to get clean. he has no record and this is his first offense. what can I expect? Im so sad and scared. thank you for your help?

Default Re: My Husband Was Charged with a Dv 1, Cops Were Called Not by Me. What Should I Exp

He should be speaking with his attorney. Have you sought help from victim services?

Default Re: My Husband Was Charged with a Dv 1, Cops Were Called Not by Me. What Should I Exp

Most first offenders are offered some manner of diversion to include anger management counseling. It is also possible that if he admits to an underlying drug problem that his attorney can get him enrolled into drug diversion as well.

As mentioned, he should be speaking to his attorney. AND! If there is a protective order in place prohibiting contact with you, he should not be communicating with you at all - directly or indirectly - unless he wants to get into more trouble.

Default Re: What Will Happen After Your Spouse is Charged With DV 1

Assault 1 occurs when a person assaults another person with a firearm or other deadly weapon with intent to commit great bodily harm, or assaults another person and does inflict great bodily harm. It's a very serious crime, punishable by up to life in prison, a fine of up to $50,000, or both.

If in fact that's the charge that was filed against your spouse, prison time is a very real possibility even for a first offense, and he needs to work with a criminal defense lawyer.

Default Re: What Will Happen After Your Spouse is Charged With DV 1

Ouch! I hadn't thought to look up the specific offense!

yeah, that's a much more serious offense than what I had initially thought.

1. Sponsored Links