Default Dual Citizenship and Passport Denials

Can anyone answer a question! While my question involves Child Support, that really is not the question in itself.

My ex is a US Citizen with a US Passport. About 10 years ago or so, he began going back and forth between Australia and the US. Residing in AU at times, etc. Eventually married and AU citizen and had children.

However, a little over a year ago, the CS office where I live issued a DENIAL against his US passport for owing a large amount of CS for our child here in the US. His passport has since come up to the time that it should have needed to be renewed, which at that time, it would have been denied because of the CS issue. But, he is still bouncing back and forth between the countries. What I want to know is how he is getting around the denied/invalid US passport. (I already know the US and AU have a treaty for pursuing CS, not looking for that info.)

Does anyone know the laws as it pertains to dual citizenships, etc. I figure the way he is getting around this is one of 3 things:

1 - He possibly has dual citizenship for both US and AU, in which case, they aren't denying him access in or out of either country.

2 - He has an AU passport that he uses instead of his US passport although I am not sure how you get a passport issued by another country - maybe that's dual citizenship rights???

3 - He is operating under an Alias.

I am not interested in hunting him down, I just want to know how he's pulling this off. It's more of an education than anything at this point!

Thank you.

Default Re: Dual Citizenship and Passport Denials????

Ask him.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Ask him, right. If he's running from paying CS, and getting around all of this, do you really think we speak? Or if we did, that he would be honest........not part of his nature.

If he has Australian citizenship and an Australian passport, it is reasonable to assume that he is travelling on that passport. The fact that he may be ineligible to renew his U.S. passport does not mean that he will also be denied the right to travel in and out of the United States on a valid Australian passport.

Thank you for your information. So a person could obtain a passport from another country if they infact had dual citizenship? I don't know that he does but can't figure out any other way he's getting around this. I don't know enough about passports from other countries and the dual citizenship piece of it to know if it was possible for him to get them or not.

Default Re: Dual Citizenship and Passport Denials

If he is indeed a dual citizen, he can have a passport from either country. Whether he is or not, I can't tell. My brothers and I are dual citizens (US and Canada) and one of my brothers has passports from both countries.

BTW, the US does not recognize the concept of dual citizenship. They will reluctantly acknowledge that other countries recognize the concept of dual citizenship, but that's as far as they're prepared to go.

Default Re: Dual Citizenship and Passport Denials

Thank you, then I am backing he has dual citizenship with AU and is operating off an AU passport.

1. Sponsored Links