Default Contacted to Pay Impound Fees on a Car I Sold Years Ago

I got a call today about an old car that I sold 2 years ago and didn't release the liability on. apparently the new owner didn't register it in their name and it got abandoned and towed. Today I receive a call from a nationwide debt management solution saying I owe about 1800 on the car but then after talking they say they will bump it down to 1300 if I pay 200 today and the rest by next week. What are my obligations here and what happens if I dont pay? I dont want the car anymore so I dont car about that. Is anyone familiar with this and can give me some info?

This occurred in California.

Thank you very much for any help

Default Re: Got Notice of Lien and Im Not Sure What T Do

Quote Quoting alexwarren91
    View Post
    Is anyone familiar with this and can give me some info?
    Sure. Happens all the time. We see it on these legal websites about once a week.

Can you PROVE (not just say) when and to whom you sold the car?

If you can't, then I suggest you figure out how to pay the bill before it escalates into a lawsuit with lawyer fees and other expensive consequences.

I cannot prove it no. My sister had this same thing happen to her and she said it just went on her credit and was off in 6 or 7 years. I am a student and don't really have this to pay so I am not sure what to do. I dont mind if they send it to my credit and it gets a bit worse to be honest.

The vehicle code is very specific on vehicle abandonment. The registered owner is liable (you). Next time you need to fill out the release of liability that is attached to the title, in full (including the new owners info).

Refer to 22523 (f)(1) VC for being liable

Refer to 22523 (f)(2) VC for not being liable after properly completing a release of liability.

Also, I really hope you end up paying some 29.99% APR for some crappy used car once you graduate. You could get a job an pay it in installments, but that would require effort on your part. (And before you say anything, I was a full time student working up to 60 hours a week with a family. So you have zero sympathy from me.)
    I'm a cop. My opinion does not reflect the views or opinion of my agency. That being said, "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

I dont know why you are so upset. I am not trying to be a bad person or anything, I am just trying to get some advice

Quote Quoting sniper
    View Post
    The vehicle code is very specific on vehicle abandonment. The registered owner is liable (you). Next time you need to fill out the release of liability that is attached to the title, in full (including the new owners info).

Refer to 22523 (f)(1) VC for being liable

Refer to 22523 (f)(2) VC for not being liable after properly completing a release of liability.

Also, I really hope you end up paying some 29.99% APR for some crappy used car once you graduate. You could get a job an pay it in installments, but that would require effort on your part. (And before you say anything, I was a full time student working up to 60 hours a week with a family. So you have zero sympathy from me.)
    That was a bit harsh. People often make mistakes when they sell a car. Its not unusual. It is however unusual for it to make someone angry enough to be that harsh about it.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    That was a bit harsh. People often make mistakes when they sell a car. Its not unusual. It is however unusual for it to make someone angry enough to be that harsh about it.
    I'm not angry at all. It's just the lazy attitude some people have and they blame the fact they are a student being the reason they can't pay for something they are responsible for.
    Ponying up and taking care of his responsibility is what he should focus on and not running away from it.

The tow driver has a job and he didn't do anything wrong by towing this vehicle. The tow driver (company) should be reimbursed for the minimum of what the law allows, which I believe is seven days plus the hourly fee to tow it. Now, because this person doesn't want to pay the fee they are responsible for, it causes the tow company to file claims in small claims court that takes time away from them doing their business activities. Now the kid blows off the verdict and let's it go to collections/credit and never pays it. The tow company never gets their money and they are impacted financially. That is one factor why tow storage fees are high, because some people don't pay

So, I really didn't mean to come off sounding angry. Harsh, sure you can say that.
    I'm a cop. My opinion does not reflect the views or opinion of my agency. That being said, "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Quoting sniper
    View Post
    I'm not angry at all. It's just the lazy attitude some people have and they blame the fact they are a student being the reason they can't pay for something they are responsible for.
    Ponying up and taking care of his responsibility is what he should focus on and not running away from it.

The tow driver has a job and he didn't do anything wrong by towing this vehicle. The tow driver (company) should be reimbursed for the minimum of what the law allows, which I believe is seven days plus the hourly fee to tow it. Now, because this person doesn't want to pay the fee they are responsible for, it causes the tow company to file claims in small claims court that takes time away from them doing their business activities. Now the kid blows off the verdict and let's it go to collections/credit and never pays it. The tow company never gets their money and they are impacted financially. That is one factor why tow storage fees are high, because some people don't pay

So, I really didn't mean to come off sounding angry. Harsh, sure you can say that.
    If he does what YOU think he should do, then the person who bought the car from him can sue him for taking possession of the car again.
    I am sure that is not going to happen, but it could.

Default Re: Contacted to Pay Impound Fees on a Car I Sold Years Ago

How much is the car worth? Is it worth $1800? If so, simple solution, - pay the fee, grab the car back, get the title, resell or keep the car. If the buyer shows up to get his car back, pay him the 1800 less your hassle and tell him to scram.

If it isn't worth the 1800/1300 - notify the DMV now that you've sold the car.

Default Re: Contacted to Pay Impound Fees on a Car I Sold Years Ago

the car is worth almost nothing and I think they already sold it. I dont want the car back or anything, they are just coming at me to pay the rest of the fees for storage and towing

1. Sponsored Links