Default Florida Expungement Law or Georgia Expungement Law

From 1988-1990, I was charged with Bad Check Writing in both Georgia and Florida. I received a felony charge in Georgia. All others were misdemeaners. ops: Is there anyway I can wipe it all clean :?: I have been fortunate enough to get hired for pretty good jobs. However, I applied for a position a month or so ago and was denied because of the felony conviction (writing a check in Georgia while living in Florida). It's been 15 years since my last conviction and want to make it all go away, or at least appear in a better light.

I have an application for restoration of rights/parden from Georgia. I am unsure if I should just check the parden box alone or check the restoration of civil and political rights as well.

Default Florida Expungement Law / Georgia Expungement Law

Quote Quoting Hannah
    I have an application for restoration of rights/parden from Georgia. I am unsure if I should just check the parden box alone or check the restoration of civil and political rights as well.
    If I were you, I would check both. The full restoration of civil and political rights is beneficial, even if a pardon isn't granted.

Florida seems to have limited expungement options for people who were convicted of offenses. It permits expungement where the charge is dismissed, nolle prossed, or results in acquittal, as long as the applicant has not been found guilty of a subsequent offense. It permits criminal records to be sealed where there is no "adjudication of guilt", such as where a defendant receives a delayed disposition. But it does not appear to offer similar remedies following conviction.

Georgia appears to permit expungement only where criminal charges against the applicant have been resolved without a conviction and the applicant has not been convicted of a crime in the past five years; or the applicant has a juvenile record, but was not adjudicated delinquent.

Default Re: Florida Expungement Law or Georgia Expungement Law

Do not break the law in Georgia. The Peach State isn't very forgiving when it comes to pardons, expungement and record sealing. There are only two things that can be cleared from your criminal record in Georgia: (1) arrests that did not lead to a conviction (you must not have any other conviction within the past 5 years to be eligible) and (2) juvenile records where you were not adjudicated delinquent.

You may have some of your civil rights restored, but this does not clear your record.

Pardons are an option, but to say they are rarely granted is a gross understatement. Applying for a pardon is free of charge. You can download the application at http://www.pap.state.ga.us/PardonApplication1006.PDF

Be very cautious when dealing with any person or organization who wants to charge you money to seal, expunge or pardon your offense. There are several slick scam artists on the internet who claim they can expunge or seal your record in Georgia. As with any legal assistance, if you are paying anyone, make sure they are a licensed attorney in the state where the court is located. Check state bar licenses and Better Business Bureau records, or risk wasting your money.

1. Sponsored Links