Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Consequences of Making Threats to Kill Somebody

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Minnesota

I messaged someone saying id kill them and an unborn baby. They reported it to the police. Since then the police knocked on my door, i didnt answer. They didnt leave a note, come back, or call at all.

What kind of trouble am i in? Will i get my daughter taken away?

I saw posts where the person who i said id kill said the cops arent going to do anything, they said they can just put a restraining order against me.

Is this true? Im very confused since the cops indeed came over. Will i be getting charged with something greater?

Default Re: Threats

They may take you away from your daughter. And of course a the person you threatened could get a restraining order.

What decides if they will? I since then have received messages from the person i threatened, also threatening me. I am only 19 and a very small girl. Does that play into anything? What can i do to ensure my daughter doesnt get taken away, and i dont get jail time? Itd be my first offense for anything.

Any criminal charges will be decided by the local prosecutor.

The decision to pursue a civil restraining order would be up to the person your threatened.

There is little to nothing you can do now to change past actions, but you should stop all contact with the the other person.

Is there a possibility they will do nothing?

Yes there is a very real possibility. Just because the police left when you didn't answer doesn't mean they are not going to follow up.

I'd suggest you get a lawyer.

It is possible that nothing will happen. It is also possible that you will end up in jail and your daughter in foster care/with other relatives. Or anything in between.

On the facts available to us, there's no way for us to predict where on the scale of possibilities this will fall.

Did you expect the cops to camp out at your door until you showed yourself? Of course they left.

Threatening to kill people can be a prosecutable crime. For all anybody knows the cops simply passed their reports along to the prosecutor and the prosecutor is weighing their options, which might include prosecution.

If arrested, keep your mouth shut. Do not say anything without having a lawyer present.

Your physical stature is irrelevent.

You need to consider getting counseling for your anger issues. Also stop having any contact with this person. You also might want to look into parenting classes. Threatening to take another persons life is not a good example to set for your daughter. Now days, a child saying that to anyone could get them in a lot of trouble. You need to think about your daughter before you speak and act.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    You need to consider getting counseling for your anger issues. Also stop having any contact with this person. You also might want to look into parenting classes. Threatening to take another persons life is not a good example to set for your daughter. Now days, a child saying that to anyone could get them in a lot of trouble. You need to think about your daughter before you speak and act.
    It might not even be anger issues. Girls at that age are serious drama llamas and do stuff like that for no other reason than to be dramatic. I think that its time the OP learns a lesson from this and grows up.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast