Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Va Vocational Rehabilitation

Ok, so do you have any medical issue that might cause a problem with an FAA Class II medical?

Though I know of at least 2 college based schools that require a Class I to enroll in the program.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Ok, so do you have any medical issue that might cause a problem with an FAA Class II medical?

Though I know of at least 2 college based schools that require a Class I to enroll in the program.
    If I just scheduled a flight physical without preparation they would defer it to headquarters for further examination. I've already contacted the proper authorities at the FAA and explained my situation, and they told me everything I need to do before I even go into the flight physical to prevent delays. Also I should note that the VA requires the 2nd class before you start the flight training. The program that I found makes you maintain a certain GPA for a whole semester before they even let you fly an airplane!

So there is an issue. You do realize that there is no way anyone at the FAA medical division can, over the phone, tell you that you will receive a waiver? And getting a waiver is not the speediest thing in the world. You should start the process now so there isn't a problem. There are two types of waivers. One that once they sign off on the original renewal waivers can be done by the Dr. performing the flight physical. The other has to go fully through the process on every renewal.

The VA is correct in requiring that. The school is allowed to set the GPA requirement.

You are free to not answer. But what is the nature of you medical issue?

By the way. Any lawyer you hire as you mentioned in an earlier post and the litigation that goes with it is going to cost you more than a Private Certificate.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    So there is an issue. You do realize that there is no way anyone at the FAA medical division can, over the phone, tell you that you will receive a waiver? And getting a waiver is not the speediest thing in the world. You should start the process now so there isn't a problem. There are two types of waivers. One that once they sign off on the original renewal waivers can be done by the Dr. performing the flight physical. The other has to go fully through the process on every renewal.

The VA is correct in requiring that. The school is allowed to set the GPA requirement.

You are free to not answer. But what is the nature of you medical issue?

By the way. Any lawyer you hire as you mentioned in an earlier post and the litigation that goes with it is going to cost you more than a Private Certificate.
    I'm not going to get into the specifics of my disability on this forum. This was meant to be a discussion of if I could win an appeal based on how the law is written! And I didn't just take the word of some random person at the FAA, it was the head of the division that deals with my specific situation. You know the FAA lists all disqualifying conditions right on their website right? And the whole point of establishing a basis of whether or not I can win an appeal, is so I can decide if I want to pursue getting the medical stuff completed. I don't want to spend another $100 on a pointless physical. I'm not worried about any medical related issues currently. I need to know about how the law is being translated. Can I somehow show that (a) exempts you from (a)(1) providing that you are pursuing under para (f). And if not, an explanation why? Anything else is beyond the scope of this post! Thank you.

No problem I was just trying to save you from some hassle. But you do realize that the head of FAA Medical can't tell you with 100% certainty that yo will be granted a waiver until he has the file?

That said, what did the counselor say when you showed him (f)?

(f)Flight training at an institution of higher learning.

(1) An individual who is eligible for educational assistance under 10 U.S.C. chapter 1606 or 38 U.S.C. chapter 30, 32, or 35 is exempt from the provisions of paragraphs (a)(2) through (d) of this section when his or her courses include flight training that is part of a program of education that leads to a standard college degree.
    And I assume you are enrolled in or want to be leads to a standard college degree?

I'm also assuming that you are eligible for educational assistance under 10 U.S.C. chapter 1606 or 38 U.S.C. chapter 30, 32, or 35?

Are both of those assumptions correct?

Assuming all of that is correct you should talk to someone above the counselor in question and get a better explanation of the counselor's position. Because the law you seem tho think is very unclear seems very clear to me.

Default Re: Eligibility for V.A. Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    No problem I was just trying to save you from some hassle. But you do realize that the head of FAA Medical can't tell you with 100% certainty that yo will be granted a waiver until he has the file?

That said, what did the counselor say when you showed him (f)?

And I assume you are enrolled in or want to be leads to a standard college degree?

I'm also assuming that you are eligible for educational assistance under 10 U.S.C. chapter 1606 or 38 U.S.C. chapter 30, 32, or 35?

Are both of those assumptions correct?

Assuming all of that is correct you should talk to someone above the counselor in question and get a better explanation of the counselor's position. Because the law you seem tho think is very unclear seems very clear to me.
    Ok I understand that (f)(1) doesn't exempt you from (a)(1), I understand that because they wrote it clearly and concisely. But if (f)(2) says you can get a private as long as it is part of a degree, and (a) clearly says that you don't need a private first as long as you are pursuing under (f) how is that so clear? That's what I'm not understanding. I'm reading it verbatim and apparently certain things just don't apply?

What would be the point of even including this:

Quote Quoting Fed_up_with_VA
    View Post
    "Except when enrolled in a ground instructor certification course or when pursuing flight training under paragraph (f) of this section, the individual must -

(1) Possess a valid private pilot certificate or higher pilot certificate such as a commercial pilot certificate"
    Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I'm eligible for Chapter 31:

21.134 Limitation on flight training.
    Flight Training approved under chapter 31 may only be authorized in degree curriculums in the field of aviation that include required flight training. This type of training is otherwise subject to the same limitations as are applicable to flight training under Chapter 30.

So that is where Chapter 30 and 21.4235 come into play.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Yes B.S. In Aviation with a Flight concentration, so all flight hours are required

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    No problem I was just trying to save you from some hassle
    And I appreciate your concerns about all the medical requirements. I didn't want to seem like I was directing my frustration at you specifically. I just really need to get to the bottom of the wording of this law. This whole situation has been ridiculously frustrating.

I think I may see your problem. I believe that...

(2) An individual described in paragraph (f)(1) of this section may pursue courses that may result in the individual eventually receiving recreational pilot certification or private pilot certification, provided that the courses also lead to a standard college degree.
    ... isn't about actual flight training. It is about dealing with courses that meet the ground school requirements of FAA certification.

Now, I'm curious why you aren't able to go forward under the (f)(1).

They've been spinning this web for awhile. Threads like these aren't uncommon!

http://helicopterforum.verticalrefer...r-31-benefits/

I know that forum. I used to frequent it. And while it is a perfectly good place to get info on flying, FAA regulations and flying jobs it is somewhat lacking in the law department. Way too much "this is how it worked for me" with no proof that it actually worked for the person or that the person ever saw a helicopter much was a professional pilot.

The one type of pilot the market isn't short if is helicopter pilots. If that is what you are aiming for you will never have the hours to compare to former Army Warrant Officers.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    If that is what you are aiming for you will never have the hours to compare to former Army Warrant Officers.
    I'm going for fixed wing. I don't think I've seen any Bachelor's programs for rotor guys, at least not in the region I'm looking in.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I know that forum. I used to frequent it. And while it is a perfectly good place to get info on flying, FAA regulations and flying jobs it is somewhat lacking in the law department.
    I was only referencing that thread because it pertains to all of the same regs and his counselor was telling him the exact same thing. Seems like it's their go to explanation!

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I think I may see your problem. I believe that isn't about actual flight training. It is about dealing with courses that meet the ground school requirements of FAA certification.
    It doesn't specify ground training, it only says: may pursue courses that may result in the individual eventually receiving recreational pilot certification or private pilot certification, provided that the courses also lead to a standard college degree.

So you could argue that any courses that require flight training should be authorized provided that the courses also lead to a standard college degree. Also, it would be nice to know why the "except" wording in (a) magically doesn't apply here?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2