Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Truck Driver Hit a Pedestrian and Didn't Provide Information

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Texas.
    My son (14) was struck by a vehicle as he was getting on bus. He was struck, the driver did not get off his vehicle and provide any aid or information. I am being told that since the driver lowered his window and said "something" that is sufficient for rendering aid. My son was not severely injured but nonetheless, he was hit. I am confused on the response from the detective for his reasoning. Anyone have any insight on this?

Default Re: My Son Was Hit by a Truck and Didn't Provide Information. What Are the Parameters

Texas law requires the following.

Sec. 550.021. ACCIDENT INVOLVING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH. (a) The operator of a vehicle involved in an accident that results or is reasonably likely to result in injury to or death of a person shall:

(1) immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close to the scene as possible;

(2) immediately return to the scene of the accident if the vehicle is not stopped at the scene of the accident;

(3) immediately determine whether a person is involved in the accident, and if a person is involved in the accident, whether that person requires aid; and

(4) remain at the scene of the accident until the operator complies with the requirements of Section 550.023.

Sec. 550.023. DUTY TO GIVE INFORMATION AND RENDER AID. The operator of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in the injury or death of a person or damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by a person shall:

(1) give the operator's name and address, the registration number of the vehicle the operator was driving, and the name of the operator's motor vehicle liability insurer to any person injured or the operator or occupant of or person attending a vehicle involved in the collision;

(2) if requested and available, show the operator's driver's license to a person described by Subdivision (1); and

(3) provide any person injured in the accident reasonable assistance, including transporting or making arrangements for transporting the person to a physician or hospital for medical treatment if it is apparent that treatment is necessary, or if the injured person requests the transportation.

Default Re: My Son Was Hit by a Truck and Didn't Provide Information. What Are the Parameters

Thank you.
    This driver did none of that. The detective says because my son walked away that its ok. The driver assumed he was ok and therefore didn't have to give any information.
    I think that is absurd!

If your son said he was not injured that makes sounds about right. Did your son say that to the driver or anyone else. Also, you said he was getting on the bus (I assume school bus). Did the school bus driver witness it?

If he originally wasn't injured or showed no signs of injury why were the police called?

My son fell upon being struck and yes he was fine at that point, like any kid would probably say. The driver did not say anything to anyone, didn't get off the truck at all. He instead left the scene even as the bus driver was honking the horn for him to stop. The bus driver did witness it. He left the scene so no police were called, they proceeded to school. However, that doesn't negate the fact he did not provide any information to either the bus driver, his employer (he was driving a work vehicle), the school or even 311. The police were called after they arrived at school since the driver left the scene. One other thing, the driver did not have a license.

What exactly are you looking for here?

The police do not seem to be inclined to pursue hit & run charges. You could try asking to speak to the investigator's superior but you don't have a way to force them to pursue any charges. Did they charge him with the driving without a license?

Iam looking for accountability for not stopping. This was a bus stop full of children that isn't ok to not make sure everything is ok even if the kids keep walking. Yes, they charged him with no license.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    What exactly are you looking for here?

The police do not seem to be inclined to pursue hit & run charges. You could try asking to speak to the investigator's superior but you don't have a way to force them to pursue any charges. Did they charge him with the driving without a license?
    That is absolutely false in CA. But maybe you have a vast knowledge of Texas in this regard.

Quote Quoting Brian57
    View Post
    That is absolutely false in CA. But maybe you have a vast knowledge of Texas in this regard.
    I'm sorry, what is absolutely false in CA? I'm quite sure that there are police officers/agencies in CA who might also choose not to pursue this but cannot say for certain as I'm not familiar with every single agency like you appear to be.

I was speaking to OP's specific case where it appears the police aren't too interested in seeking hit & run charges.

Quote Quoting Notlouise
    View Post
    Iam looking for accountability for not stopping. This was a bus stop full of children that isn't ok to not make sure everything is ok even if the kids keep walking. Yes, they charged him with no license.
    You've been writing like the guy got away scot free. He didn't. The police caught up to him and charged him with no license. If the authorities aren't inclined to do anything else, you aren't going to change that.

If your son was hurt, you can seek compensation from the truck driver's employer.

If he wasn't hurt, then put this to rest.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast