Default When Are Attorney Fees Awarded After a Divorce in Texas

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Texas

My daughter (Respondent) and her husband (Petitioner) are going through a divorce. He is the bread winner, she is in college with no income. He wants the to be quick and quiet, and has agreed to give her a cash settlement to ensure she cooperates with the proceedings, but in the Original Petition for Divorce he had drawn up by his attorney are two sections I'm concerned with.

11. Attorney's Fees, Expenses, Costs, and Interest
    It was necessary for Petitioner to secure the services of *********, and the law office of *******| ***** & ASSOCIATES, LLC, licensed attorneys, to prepare and prosecute this suit. To effect an equitable division of the estate of the parties and as a part of the division, judgment for attorney's fees, expenses, and costs through trial and appeal should be granted against Respondent and in favor of Petitioner for the use and benefit of Petitioner's attorney; or, in the alternative, Petitioner requests that reasonable attorney's fees, expenses, and costs through trial and appeal be taxed as costs and be ordered paid directly to Petitioner's attorney, who may enforce the order in the attorney's own name. Petitioner requests postjudgment interest as allowed by law.
    12. Prayer
    Petitioner prays that citation and notice issue as required by law and that the Court grant a divorce and all other relief requested in this petition. Petitioner prays for attorney's fees, expenses, and costs as requested above. Petitioner prays for general relief.

QUESTION: Is he trying to get the judge to make her to pay his attorney fees? If so, that would probably use up most, if not all, of the settlement fee he 'generously' offered. Can anyone please interpret the two sections above into normal English for me?

Thanks,
    Glen

Default Re: When Are Attorney Fees Awarded After a Divorce in Texas

Quote Quoting Glendor
    View Post
    My question involves a marriage in the state of: Texas

My daughter (Respondent) and her husband (Petitioner) are going through a divorce. He is the bread winner, she is in college with no income. He wants the to be quick and quiet, and has agreed to give her a cash settlement to ensure she cooperates with the proceedings, but in the Original Petition for Divorce he had drawn up by his attorney are two sections I'm concerned with.

11. Attorney's Fees, Expenses, Costs, and Interest
    It was necessary for Petitioner to secure the services of *********, and the law office of *******| ***** & ASSOCIATES, LLC, licensed attorneys, to prepare and prosecute this suit. To effect an equitable division of the estate of the parties and as a part of the division, judgment for attorney's fees, expenses, and costs through trial and appeal should be granted against Respondent and in favor of Petitioner for the use and benefit of Petitioner's attorney; or, in the alternative, Petitioner requests that reasonable attorney's fees, expenses, and costs through trial and appeal be taxed as costs and be ordered paid directly to Petitioner's attorney, who may enforce the order in the attorney's own name. Petitioner requests postjudgment interest as allowed by law.
    12. Prayer
    Petitioner prays that citation and notice issue as required by law and that the Court grant a divorce and all other relief requested in this petition. Petitioner prays for attorney's fees, expenses, and costs as requested above. Petitioner prays for general relief.

QUESTION: Is he trying to get the judge to make her to pay his attorney fees? If so, that would probably use up most, if not all, of the settlement fee he 'generously' offered. Can anyone please interpret the two sections above into normal English for me?

Thanks,
    Glen
    It appears that you have understood it correctly. Looks like its time for your daughter to lawyer up.

A complaint or petition for divorce will very often include pro forma, boilerplate language requesting attorney fees, whether or not the party actually expects to receive them, because the general rule is that if you don't ask, you won't get.

When one spouse in a divorce case is married and the other is not, it makes sense for the unmarried spouse to get a lawyer. It isn't that it couldn't happen, but takes a lot of trust to count on the spouse who is divorcing you and that spouse's lawyer to be giving you a fair deal.

If the goal is to settle, she can decline any settlement that she regards as unfair. I think it's fair to say that it is obvious that she would decline a settlement offer in which her ex- didn't pay his own legal fees and costs.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    A complaint or petition for divorce will very often include pro forma, boilerplate language requesting attorney fees, whether or not the party actually expects to receive them, because the general rule is that if you don't ask, you won't get.

When one spouse in a divorce case is married and the other is not, it makes sense for the unmarried spouse to get a lawyer. It isn't that it couldn't happen, but takes a lot of trust to count on the spouse who is divorcing you and that spouse's lawyer to be giving you a fair deal.

If the goal is to settle, she can decline any settlement that she regards as unfair. I think it's fair to say that it is obvious that she would decline a settlement offer in which her ex- didn't pay his own legal fees and costs.
    Okay, I'm now really confused. If they're getting divorced, aren't they both spouses, both married?

1. Sponsored Links