Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default How to Keep a Child With the Family

    An unmarried father has a child, but he doesn't want to establish paternity because he doesn't want to pay child support.

    The mother recently placed the child with a friend, who is not a member of either parent's family. It looks like this is intended to be a long-term or permanent placement.

    The father's family wants to keep the child with a family member. How can they make sure that the child is in the custody of somebody in the family?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: How to Keep a Child With the Family

    The father's family's rights are derived through the father. That is, unless and until he decides that he wants to establish paternity, they are powerless to override the mother -- and if he does establish paternity, it is he who must commence any custody action.

    If he waits, mom may formalize the third party custody arrangement, or he may find out that the people raising the child are in the process of adoption. If he wants his family to have a relationship with the child, he shouldn't wait.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Establishing an Order: Mother Moved Child Out of State After She Said She Was Taking Child to Visit Family
    By JordanRoe in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-27-2017, 11:51 AM
  2. Child Neglect: Is it Child Abandonment to Have a Family Member Care For Your Child
    By marshasayshow in forum Abuse and Neglect
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-22-2013, 08:56 PM
  3. Emancipation: How to Get an 18-Year-Old Child Out of the Family Home
    By djeff in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 08:12 AM
  4. Child Abuse: Child Assaulted at a Family Gathering
    By Pixi in forum Abuse and Neglect
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
  5. Auto Insurance: Adult child using the family car
    By joetoeman in forum Insurance Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources