Default Tax Preparer is Slow to File a Tax Return for a Trust

My tax prep CPA - EA is dragging out my 2017 Trust return. Although my appointment with her was a little late, Mar. 12, she has repeatedly said..."I'm working on it," and promised 3 weeks ago I'd have the return by the following week. She did file an extension on the return, but I am very hesitant to again contact her to ask what's up with the return. The last time I contacted her she got very offended at my "insolent" inquiry on the progress of the return, despite my careful tactfulness. This CPA not only did my deceased father's and mother's returns for decades, but she was a "family friend" and entertained my widower father often. There is the possibility she may be dragging out the return out of spite, or she may feel she can put my return at the "bottom of the pile" out of some imagined liberty. I really don't know, but I do know I have a Trust to administer, and she is holding things up. She is in her 70's (senile?).
    Requesting input/advice on how to proceed, or just wait? I'm in a quandry.
    Questions:
    Does an extension give a Tax Prep person the perception they can sit on a return, even out to October?
    The tax prep practice has a partner...should I contact them (knowing my inquiry will get back to my CPA)?
    I have a Trust attorney...at what point should I contact him for assistance, if at all?
    What would be a common waiting period for a return preparation after an extension has been filed?

Thank you for any help.

Default Re: Tax Preparer is Slow to File a Tax Return for a Trust

You should call the person you are paying for a service to provide the service.

Preparation of tax returns is a service business. If you are unsatisfied with the service you are entitled to go to the office, retrieve your documents, and take your business to another provider. That's appropriate when you are not satisfied with a provider in any field.

OK, granted. But virtually everyone advises highly against firing/changing Tax Prep persons in the middle of a return. I suppose it could present some difficulties since the current CPA did file an extension, and the IRS would show the extension referenced by her agent identification. Since I've never been in this position...would that be an obstacle to a "new" CPA if they took over the return?

Quote Quoting edkrane
    View Post
    OK, granted. But virtually everyone advises highly against firing/changing Tax Prep persons in the middle of a return. I suppose it could present some difficulties since the current CPA did file an extension, and the IRS would show the extension referenced by her agent identification. Since I've never been in this position...would that be an obstacle to a "new" CPA if they took over the return?
    How long has the trust been in existence and does it have any depreciable assets?

Sometimes a tax professional will take on a return that is not something that they do regularly. If so, and if they are a procrastinator at all they might tend to put it on the bottom of the pile because they think its going to be difficult to do, and they are burying their head in the sand a bit.

Or, in the alternative, some tax professionals will take on far more work than they can handle during the tax season, and then file extensions for a lot of it, and stretch it out until the extension deadline.

If the trust is newly formed and has not been depreciating any assets yet, then it should not be a problem at all to change to a new tax professional. Just be certain to let any new candidates know that it is a trust return and that you need it done quickly.

Quote Quoting edkrane
    View Post
    An extension is VERY easy to file. It should raise no red flags if another CPA takes over completing the return.

I know plenty of people that file for their own extension and then turn over their docs to a CPA.

Just for clarity's sake, I would be notifying the old CPA (who filed the extension) to have all documents and files gathered by a certain date, travelling out of state to pick them up, pay her for accrued time, and turning over the return to a "new," different CPA to continue on with the return....and actually get the damn Trust return filed. I have NO idea why 2 1/2 months after meeting with the old CPA, she is sitting on this return. She is impeding the administration of my father's Trust.

Quote Quoting edkrane
    View Post
    Just for clarity's sake, I would be notifying the old CPA (who filed the extension) to have all documents and files gathered by a certain date, travelling out of state to pick them up, pay her for accrued time, and turning over the return to a "new," different CPA to continue on with the return....and actually get the damn Trust return filed. I have NO idea why 2 1/2 months after meeting with the old CPA, she is sitting on this return. She is impeding the administration of my father's Trust.
    Yes, that would be pretty much it. However, I am going to suggest that you give it to a new tax professional (the next one will not necessarily be a CPA, it could be an EA or an experienced tax professional) in YOUR area. There is no reason why you have to use someone that is not near you. Yes, the correct state return will have to be done, but that doesn't mean that someone in your area cannot handle it. Most professional tax offices can and do, do returns for all 50 states.

1. Sponsored Links