Default Should You Use an Online Divorce Service

My question involves a marriage in the state of: California

I had been living with my spouse for 4 years. We got married in California. A month ago we broke up and now we are living separately. She stayed in CA, I moved to Alabama. We'd like to file for divorce. In recent times I've been hearing a lot about online divorces without having to go to court and pay for attorneys.

Are the services like this worth a try? Do I have to go to court? Don't I really need an attorney? I'd like to hear some information on the services from people who have already used them. Are there any underlying potential problems which may occur while using the services like that? I will be glad to receive really useful information.

Default Re: Should You Use an Online Divorce Service

You can't get divorced in the U.S. without going to court. Divorce is a judicial process. If an online service is promising you that you can, don't use that service.

Beyond that, most "online divorce services" are simply forms preparation services. You fill out forms online, they generate documents that you file with a court, and you represent yourself in court proceedings.

Default Re: Should You Use an Online Divorce Service

Quote Quoting JamesWhite
    View Post
    My question involves a marriage in the state of: California

I had been living with my spouse for 4 years. We got married in California. A month ago we broke up and now we are living separately. She stayed in CA, I moved to Alabama. We'd like to file for divorce. In recent times I've been hearing a lot about online divorces without having to go to court and pay for attorneys.
    You can do it without attorneys but you still have to go to court. You, personally, don't necessarily have to travel back to CA as long as you two agree on everything.

Consider having her do the filing in CA as she has already met the residency requirement.

CA has a great self help feature on the court website with all the forms and instructions:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-divorce.htm

1. Sponsored Links