Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Caught Shoplifting at California Urban Outfitters

My friend and I were caught shoplifting at Urban Outfitters in California. We are both 20 years old.

We beeped on the way out of the store and the manager told us to come back. Because we were scared, we kept walking and told her that we had somewhere else to be. The manager followed us out of the store and kept asking us why we beeped. We went to the mall bathroom in hopes that she wouldn't follow us, but she did. She made a scene inside the bathroom and said she contacted security and that security will call the police. The only thing she said on the walkie talkie is to tell the other employees in the store to call security and gave a description of us.

She took multiple pictures of us and took a picture of our IDs. She kept threatening to call the police, so because I didn't want them involved, I handed my stuff in. After handing in the stuff we stole, she told us that she already called the police and that we should get out of the mall ASAP. So, we did. Even in the long walk back to our car, we weren't stopped by security nor did we see any. The security office is right near the bathroom--a short 30 second walk which makes me question if they actually even notified them.

We didn't sign any legal forms nor did we speak with the mall security or police officer. The only thing she has is pictures of us and pictures of our IDs. We are also almost positive that we were not caught on camera, albeit we did look a bit suspicious as stayed in the same spot that blocked the camera from seeing us.

My questions are:

1) The security did not come even though the office is right near the bathroom and we stayed in the bathroom for well more than 5 minutes which makes me question: Did they actually alert the security?

2) If they did, I'm sure that pictures of us and our IDs are sent to their office. Do they (mall security and Urban) have the right to contact the police and pursue a legal lawsuit or civil demand even when we're no longer in the premises?

3) Will they be able to send a civil demand through the address in our IDs even though we didn't sign any legal forms stating that we were caught and were not stopped my security OR the police?

Please help me. I am so confused at the ambiguity of this situation and I want to know if I am actually in legal trouble or if she was bluffing.

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting at California Urban Outfitters

Quote Quoting ineedhelpforuo
    View Post
    1) The security did not come even though the office is right near the bathroom and we stayed in the bathroom for well more than 5 minutes which makes me question: Did they actually alert the security?

2) If they did, I'm sure that pictures of us and our IDs are sent to their office. Do they (mall security and Urban) have the right to contact the police and pursue a legal lawsuit or civil demand even when we're no longer in the premises?

3) Will they be able to send a civil demand through the address in our IDs even though we didn't sign any legal forms stating that we were caught and were not stopped my security OR the police?
    1) Were they referring to Mall security or store security? We have no way of knowing whether they contacted them or not.

2) Yes, why wouldn't they have the right to contact the Police, pursue a legal lawsuit or civil demand? Whether they would or not, we have no way of knowing.

3) Yes, nothing in the law requires them to have anything from you in writing before contacting you.

View Post

My questions are:

Only the store manager or security could answer that. I have no more idea on that than you do.

View Post
    Yes, of course they may. Nothing in the law limits contacting the police only while you are in the store or in the mall.

View Post
    Yes. The store doesn’t need your consent to send a civil demand. The store is entitled to that by the fact that you shoplifted from the store. If all you get hit with is the civil demand, consider yourself lucky. She could have held you at the mall and had the police come and arrest you for the shoplifting. That would have really ruined your day, as well as potentially ruining a lot more for you, too.

View Post
    Please help me. I am so confused at the ambiguity of this situation and I want to know if I am actually in legal trouble or if she was bluffing.
    You’ll have to live with the uncertainty of that for awhile. While it is probably not real likely that you'll face criminal charges at this point, it is nevertheless a possibility. The civil demand is, of course, more likely than criminal charges. You could possibly face both. Only time will tell.

The police weren't called while we were in the mall, but she did threaten that she already called the police and we should get out as soon as possible.

Do you think we'll still be faced with criminal charges or was she just scaring us?

You'll find out when you're either contacted by the police, or not.

Will they show up at my house?

View Post
    Will they show up at my house?
    That is an option for them.

I had to read this a few times, because I thought maybe I knew you, but I don't think that's the case. Anyway, a good friend of mine's daughter, and her friend, recently pulled the same stunt. My buddy found out about it when the police did indeed show up at their house shortly after they had eaten dinner. The daughter is 18, so her parents had no direct involvement with the police as she's technically an adult.

Happen in Cali, at an Urban Outfitters. Your mileage may vary.

I see. Did the police show up the of the incident or a couple days after?

They have until the statute of limitations expires (be thinking months or years, not days or weeks). What happened in someone else's case is not a guarantee what will happen in yours.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast