Unhappy What is a Class UC Shoplifting Ticket

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Colorado I got a ticket for shoplifting I believe 50 or less at target need to appear in court June 4 I don’t want this to affect my record I’m not like this I don’t know what drove me to do this I have no need for it I am truly a shame and regret it so much what will happen at my court I don’t want to go to jail I have a clean record nothing else this is my first offense what can I do please help. Also my ticket says class UC what does this mean

Default Re: Shoplifting Ticket Class Uc What Does It Mean

The time to be overly concerned about your record was before you committed the crime. You're charged with a misdemeanor. $50 or less is still a class 3 midemeanor. You could get six months and/or a $750 fine (plus costs). You can also expect indendent of that to receive a letter from Target's "lawyers" asking for a civil payment to cover the damages people like you cause them.

Some thefts are unclassified misdemeanors which means the statute prescribes the punishment directly rather than saying you can be punished as a class N misdemeanor.
    What's written on the citation however probably isn't accurate. This is likely a class 3 as mentioned above.

You might want to at least consult an attorney. Some counties do appear to offer diversions which allows you to spend a period of probation and if you keep your nose clean have the charges dismissed.

Default Re: What is a Class UC Shoplifting Ticket

UC would mean "unclassified" -- the penalty for an unclassified misdemeanor is specified in a statute, whereas the penalties for Class 1, 2 and 3 misdemeanors are set by a separate statute.

Default Re: What is a Class UC Shoplifting Ticket

Right, but I can't seen much chance that this really is an unclassified misdemeanor. The UC thefts are pretty odd things (stealing newspapers, etc...).

1. Sponsored Links