Post Older Sister Adopting Baby Sister

I live in Oklahoma and I am 23 years old. I live on my own, have a stable job, attending college and have transportation. I have a sister that is 14 and I want to adopt her from my mother who is non-consenting to the idea. I had a difficult childhood and adolescence living with my mother. I am the oldest of 6 kids in a single parent home. My mother does not adequately care for my sister. Her basic needs such as clothes, shoes, hygiene products and extracurricular activities are funded by me. She does not reimburse any of the expenses to me and does not support her academically or emotionally. She is a stubborn alcoholic that ruins every relationship with people who love her. The tally includes my brother, aunt, grandfather and our non-legal stepfather who has been there for the family for the last 13 years until recently. I want to bring my sister into a loving and supportive household and allow her to flourish as a person. I am capable of ensuring her health, transportation, school needs and future expenses as I have already demonstrated. My sister consents to the idea and will either get emancipated at 16 with the help of me or if at all possible can I adopt her before we have to take extreme measures to try and get her emancipated. I understand what it takes to get emancipated and it will be difficult to prove because my mother makes a lot of money but none of her money is spent on her. She is overwhelmed with financial debt thats requires her to work 7 days a week. She is not capable of taking care of my sister like she needs to be. What will I need to prove to adopt my sister?

Default Re: Older sister adopting baby sister

Oklahoma Adoption Statute Summary

This would be so much easier if your mother were to agree to it.

Trying to have her parental rights terminated is not a simple task.

Is there a way to prove she is unfit and terminate her parental rights? Her debt to income ratio is too large to support her. She can not keep up with basic repairs and also the utilities have been disconnected at the residence. Do i have to show proof that I am financially supporting her?

It is difficult to have a parent's rights terminated.

What you describe could be considered neglect. If CPS were to look into the situation it may provide some help for your sister. However, CPS tries to keep families intact and the child does not always get removed from the home.

Perhaps you can get your mother to consider giving you temporary guardianship and take it from there. That doesn't seem as drastic of a step and your mother may allow it.

Quote Quoting emeralddiamond23
    View Post
    Is there a way to prove she is unfit and terminate her parental rights? Her debt to income ratio is too large to support her. She can not keep up with basic repairs and also the utilities have been disconnected at the residence. Do i have to show proof that I am financially supporting her?
    you need to prove BOTH mom and dad unfit.

[QUOTE=wantsbestforkaren;102208]you need to prove BOTH mom and dad unfit.

Or she cold prove the DAD is dead! You know the routine Kelly.

1. Sponsored Links