Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bigamy and Remarriage

ok my fiance thought she is married to another we went to file for divorce in order for us to get married, we found out that her husband was still legaly married to his first wife,does that mean that her marriage to him is now void because he commited bigamy and if so is she legaly free to get married or does she still have to file for divorce from him? I live in florida

Default Re: Bigamy and Remarriage

Quote Quoting not the father I think
    View Post
    ok my fiance thought she is married to another we went to file for divorce in order for us to get married, we found out that her husband was still legaly married to his first wife,does that mean that her marriage to him is now void because he commited bigamy and if so is she legaly free to get married or does she still have to file for divorce from him? I live in florida
    If he was married, when they applied for the marriage liscense, and got married, then it was null and void to begin with, and a very big crime on his part. I would think that you could press charges, even sue him, and yes, you could get married, but start first I have to ask, how did you find out that he was actually still married to this lady when he and she got married?? A rumor, or do you have concrete proof?? He could go to jail for this.

You would want a court order declaring the marriage void (an annulment) or a divorce before you remarry.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You would want a court order declaring the marriage void (an annulment) or a divorce before you remarry.
    Thanks Mr. Knowitall!

we have concrete proof she found the court documents showing his divorce from the first wife was dismissed for failure to prosecute. so does she have to get an anullment. if we get married is she then committing bigamy?

Quote Quoting not the father I think
    View Post
    we have concrete proof she found the court documents showing his divorce from the first wife was dismissed for failure to prosecute. so does she have to get an anullment. if we get married is she then committing bigamy?
    Please take what you have found to a judge, and get this done legally, do as knowitall said, he is very wise!

can we do this on our own or do we need a lawyer?

You can proceed on your own, but most people find it easier to get help from a lawyer.

Did you ever get a divorce from your wife?
    http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17113

yes I got all that taken care of now we just need to take care of her situation so we can get married.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast