Default Collections on a Registered Car

I owned a car about 8 years ago, which I sold. The buyer did not register teh car, and apparently was in an accident with a rent a car. I recd. today, a collections notice from the rent a car representative (a contingency collection agency) for a 5 figure sum. I have not heard from them before. They seem to think that because the car was registered to me, I am liable for the damages to the rent a car property. Apparently the guy who bought the car was uninsured.

Am I liable for this? Is a 7 year period outside the sol? The accident was in tx, but I do not live there. What are my obligations here?

Thank you

Default Re: Collections on a Registered Car

You sold the car in what state? Do you have any records or documents relating to the sale? Do you know who bought the car?

When did the accident occur?

Hi Aaron,

I sold the car in Texas. It was over 7 years ago that I sold it, and I do not have any papers left, although I did cancel my insurance soon after i sold it.

I do not know hte date of the accident, but the collections agency told me it was in 2000 or 2001. The registration of the car would have expired by Dec. 2000 anyway, so I guess the accident was in 2000.

thanks for your help

I suggest you consult a lawyer to get help figuring out what happened and when, about getting an accident report or other information pertaining to the accident which might identify the buyer, about clearing up the registration, and defending you against any liability for the amounts claimed.

1. Sponsored Links