Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default How to Get Compensated for Providing Care to an Elderly Parent

    A woman in Georgia allowed her elderly parents to move into her home. Her father has since passed away, and her mother is very ill. Caring for her mother has become an around-the-clock job, with little respite.

    The woman cannot hold a job while caring for her mother. However, her parents provided no mechanism for her to receive compensation for their care. They did pay for some of their expenses in the early days, but no long-term arrangement was made and the mother is no longer mentally competent.

    The woman has asked her brother and sister about contributing to their mother's care. The siblings will not contribute a penny, and they also will not agree to her using any of her mother's assets to help support the household.

    What are the woman's options?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: How to Get Compensated for Providing Care to an Elderly Parent

    Legal issues aside, the woman should explore any support she can obtain from the state or county, as she may be able to get some help with the care for her mother that is free or highly subsidized.

    The woman may seek guardianship and conservatorship of her mother, and within those proceedings ask the court to authorize a reasonable payment for rent and expenses (food, toiletries and the like) and for her caregiving efforts. She can also seek authorization to pay for professionals to provide necessary care, including respite care, and her siblings may become less inclined to object to her receiving compensation once they realize how much that will cost.

    If worst comes to worst, the woman can consider arranging for mom to go into a long-term care facility. When they realize that any money they were hoping to receive from mom will end up paying for that care, the siblings may become more reasonable.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Medical Malpractice: Can You Sue a Hospital for Providing Indifferent, Inadequate Care
    By lawfacts in forum Malpractice Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2016, 10:07 AM
  2. Family Members: Can You Seek Permanent Residency to Care for an Elderly Parent
    By bleg in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2016, 07:32 AM
  3. Custody and Visitation Issues: Father Isn't Providing Adequate Care During Visitation
    By amytn2006 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2012, 07:55 AM
  4. Expenses: Parent is Not Providing Court Ordered Health Care
    By Mommy1 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 10:53 PM
  5. Caregivers: Can I Be Forced to Care for Elderly Abusive Parent
    By NorthGeorgiaGirl in forum Disability and Elder Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources