Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Can You File a Tax Return if You Have Not Yet Filed the Prior Year's Return

    A taxpayer had a lot of issues with his tax return, and obtained a extension on filing the return. He did not file the return at the end of the extension period. He knows he will have to pay interest and penalties.

    He does want to file his tax return for the current tax year. Can he file this year's tax return even though he has not yet filed the overdue return for the prior year?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Can You File a Tax Return if You Have Not Yet Filed the Prior Year's Return

    The taxpayer may file his current tax return. The problems with last year's tax return do not prevent him from filing.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Federal Taxes: Amending a Prior Year's Tax Return During an Audit
    By lawfacts in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2016, 11:17 AM
  2. Heirs and Beneficiaries: Obtaining Tax Return of Prior Year from IRS After Trustor (Settlor) Dies
    By beekeepersj in forum Estate Planning, Administration and Probate
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM
  3. Marriage: Married While on I-94 Visa - Stay and File in U.S. or Return to Mexico and File
    By 7919 in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 09:54 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 05:17 PM
  5. Security Deposits: Non Return of Deposit - Does My Prior Landlord Have a Case
    By secdepositnotreturned in forum Landlord-Tenant Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 04:51 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources