Default Check Fraud and Felony Charges

I have a close relative that wrote several checks (don't know amounts, under 100.00 on each check) to different insitutions on a checking account that he knew was closed (check account belonged to him). What happens to him? Does he need to go to each insitution where he wrote the check and offer to pay them? If he did this would this mean that they would more than likely not file charges against him? If they did file charges what would they be? Felony? How much jail time etc. does a felony carry?

Default Re: Check fraud and felony?

If you wrote checks on a closed account, you can go to prison, even if you paid them off.

I just learned that the checks were all written to a gas station down the street. All for 30.00 a piece. The gas station turned them over to the check recovery system and the check recovery company has sent a letter trying to retrieve the funds. Does this mean that if he pays this that they likely won't file charges. I know they can but does it sound like they just want the money and that is it?

This all took place in Alabama.

Quote Quoting Josephine2883
    View Post
    I just learned that the checks were all written to a gas station down the street. All for 30.00 a piece. The gas station turned them over to the check recovery system and the check recovery company has sent a letter trying to retrieve the funds. Does this mean that if he pays this that they likely won't file charges. I know they can but does it sound like they just want the money and that is it?
    I wouldn't have the slightest idea, not having seen any of the stuff you have.

Thanks so much for your help.

1. Sponsored Links