Question Hospital Changed Contrators and the New Contractor Pays Workers Half As Much

My question involves independent contractors in the state of TX

Hello!

My husband works in a hospital and he had a contract for veterans only. So the hospital just switched the contractor company and the new company called my husband and told him that his pay get dropped ($8 less/hour). This was a shock and it's a huge pay cut. they gave him the option to accept...or not and leave. WOW. I wonder if this is lawful? The hospital chose this new company because they were the cheapest deal. I see why

Any advices?

Default Re: Hospital Changed Contrator Company and the New One Pays Half As Much

Lemme see if I'm following this:

So your husband worked for Company A, who had the contract. The hospital has switched to Company B, which is cheaper. Company B has offered your husband a position but at a significant pay cut? How significant is the cut? When does your husband have to make a decision?

Default Re: Hospital Changed Contrators and the New Contractor Pays Workers Half As Much

Quote Quoting B2018
    View Post
    So the hospital just switched the contractor company and the new company called my husband and told him that his pay get dropped ($8 less/hour).
    You appear to be stating that your husband worked for the first contractor, but was or will be laid off when that contractor loses the contract with the hospital.

You appear to be stating that your husband is being offered employment with the new contractor, but at a substantially lower wage.

If that's the case, your husband's options include seeing if the first contractor can find work for him elsewhere at the higher wage, assuming it has other contracts in the area. He can look for jobs with other companies. He can attempt to negotiate with the new contractor for a higher wage.

Depending upon the original rate of pay, your husband may be able to turn down the job and seek unemployment, or potentially take the new job and receive a partial unemployment benefit based upon the significant reduction of income. (Your thread title suggests that this is a cut from @$16 to @$8 per hour, in which case your husband can check with the Texas Workforce Commission about hos eligibility for a partial UI benefit if he's unable to find higher-paying work by the time the transition occurs and accepts the new, lower-paid job.)

1. Sponsored Links