Default How to Get a Spousal Support Reduction Based on Your Ex's Cohabitation

My question involves marriage law for the State of: Connecticut
    Ex wife is currently a cohabitant with her boyfriend with our children, she and bf, made up a rental agreement AFTER I asked for a reduction in alimony. She is also a spendthrift but is fighting me on keeping her alimony. How do I prove this cohabitation in a 1.2m home, that she could not afford without him, is part of a change in her circumstances? They co mingle funds but have failed to provide full discovery to show this. Now what?

Default Re: Help

Quote Quoting GoingBroke18
    View Post
    My question involves marriage law for the State of: Connecticut
    Ex wife is currently a cohabitant with her boyfriend with our children, she and bf, made up a rental agreement AFTER I asked for a reduction in alimony. She is also a spendthrift but is fighting me on keeping her alimony. How do I prove this cohabitation in a 1.2m home, that she could not afford without him, is part of a change in her circumstances? They co mingle funds but have failed to provide full discovery to show this. Now what?
    How do you know that they comingle funds? Why would you think that her new boyfriend would even consider that?

Default Re: How to Get a Spousal Support Reduction Based on Your Ex's Cohabitation

View Post
    she and bf, made up a rental agreement AFTER I asked for a reduction in alimony.
    Should we infer from that statement, that you've already raised the issue of her living "rent free" in court, and that the court found that she is in fact paying rent? If the issue has been decided by the court you can (subject to the time limits for filing) consider appealing or seeking reconsideration based upon facts or law that might change the court's conclusion, or moving on.
    How do I prove this cohabitation in a 1.2m home....
    Does your provision for spousal support end if you prove cohabitation, or are you focusing on trying to prove that her expenses have gone down such that your spousal support should be modified? Has the court already decided this issue?
    ....that she could not afford without him, is part of a change in her circumstances?
    If she's paying rent, the fact that she's in a nicer home than she was previously renting does not change the fact that she's paying rent.
    They co mingle funds but have failed to provide full discovery to show this.
    Even if they are commingling funds, his money is still his money.

1. Sponsored Links