Default How to Find Out if You Were Charged With Trespassing

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan
    To make a long story short, I was apprehended by two officers for trespassing at an apartment complex who warned me not to return to the complex for the duration of 1 year under threat of arrest.
    Now, they also handed me a slip of paper that I assumed was the written warning, and I stupidly wound up losing it shortly after. That was last September.
    My question is, is it possible that I was in fact ticketed rather than merely warned? I have very little experience with law enforcement, so aside from what little information I could find via google I have no idea what to expect. I'd imagine that I should be safe now that it's been roughly 8 months, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Is there way to determine if I do in fact have a potentially overdue ticket?
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Trespassing...

If you were told to not return for at least a year, any presence prior that period would be a trespass.

If you had not been told to stay off the property prior to that, what you received shouldn’t have been a citation as it requires prior notice that you are not allowed on the property before it is considered a trespass.

Im not sure when the police contact was made whether it was after you had been told to stay off the property or you were told at the time the police were called.

If the first, then I suspect it was a citation. If the latter I suspect it was a notice you are not allowed to return to the property.

to check on the ticket isssue; check Michigan’s court records and criminal records (available online) or call the police that responded to the call

Quote Quoting arielle1
    View Post
    Is there way to determine if I do in fact have a potentially overdue ticket?
    Could be.

Go online to your municipal court website or your local criminal court website and see if your name comes up in a search if they have case search features.

I received the notice at the same encounter I was warned not to return.

Quote Quoting arielle1
    View Post
    I received the notice at the same encounter I was warned not to return.
    If that was the first time you were told you were not allowed on the property it shouldn’t have been a citation. Michigan law requires prior notice for it to be trespass.

That doesnt mean they couldn’t have issued you a citation. It just means you would have a defense to the citation.

So check the courts and state sites for criminal records and call the police that responded to ask about it.

1. Sponsored Links