Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Help

I specifically asked my insurance agent and a personal injury lawyer why a bike accident that damages a car is covered under a HO policy. They both said the bike, because it is stored within the house, is part of the house, just like a shingle on the roof that falls off and hits someone on the head.

If a bicycle can be operated across town and do damage to a car and the HO policy covers that damage, I would like to know why the damage a snowblower causes does not fall under that same coverage? Anybody?

Being an avid cyclist who rides next to Lamborghinis and Ferraris every weekend I have asked numerous insurance agents that question over the years and get the same answer every time...that the damage my bike causes is covered by my HO policy.

Yes - if YOU are the one riding the bike, then YOUR homeowner's policy covers it. I'm willing to bet you never asked those insurance agents about liability when someone else borrows your bike.

In the original post, it was NOT the owner of the snowblower who was using it, but someone else. And that someone else was on his own property and damaged his own property. The owner of the snowblower, not being the one using the snowblower at the time, is not liable. If the OP's father had been the one using the snowblower, you'd be getting different answers.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Yes - if YOU are the one riding the bike, then YOUR homeowner's policy covers it. I'm willing to bet you never asked those insurance agents about liability when someone else borrows your bike.

In the original post, it was NOT the owner of the snowblower who was using it, but someone else. And that someone else was on his own property and damaged his own property. The owner of the snowblower, not being the one using the snowblower at the time, is not liable. If the OP's father had been the one using the snowblower, you'd be getting different answers.
    And I am willing to bet that you never asked that question either.

So, assuming you are correct, is my son covered if he hit a car? It isn't his policy. How about a step-son, first cousin, brother-in-law or friend? How about if my friend and I were walking on the roof and he accidentally disturbed a roof shingle and it hit someone on the head below. Is that not covered because my friend dislodged it?

The policy covers the real estate and the belongings in it and the damage those belongs cause. It does not cover me.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Remind anyone here of another (frequently banned) poster who used to make outlandish claims, and then insist it was up to everyone else to disprove them and not up to him to prove them?
    Your subtle inference that I should be banned resonates with the large amount of criticism on the internet about you being a troll. You're quite the popular guy, aren't you?

Within some circles, yes. Mostly with the ones who don't like having their incorrect assumptions contradicted.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Within some circles, yes. Mostly with the ones who don't like having their incorrect assumptions contradicted.
    Yep, they described you correctly.

Quote Quoting Brian57
    View Post
    And I am willing to bet that you never asked that question either.

So, assuming you are correct, is my son covered if he hit a car? It isn't his policy. How about a step-son, first cousin, brother-in-law or friend? How about if my friend and I were walking on the roof and he accidentally disturbed a roof shingle and it hit someone on the head below. Is that not covered because my friend dislodged it?

The policy covers the real estate and the belongings in it and the damage those belongs cause. It does not cover me.

Your subtle inference that I should be banned resonates with the large amount of criticism on the internet about you being a troll. You're quite the popular guy, aren't you?
    You are deliberately ignoring what we are trying to explain to you.

You are liable for what happens on your property. Your son and other relatives or friends may or may not be covered under your car insurance. It depends on state law and the details of your policy.

You are liable OFF of your property only if you were the one operating the item and were negligent. The exception to that is if the item is defective and it can be proven that you knew or should have known that it was defective.

You have believed (inaccurately) for years that you are liable if you lend out your tools. You are upset that you were wrong.

Now, if you want an accurate answer from an insurance person (which you have already received) you have to ask the right question. "Am I liable if someone borrows a snow blower from me and damages their car, on their property, with it?"

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    You are deliberately ignoring what we are trying to explain to you.

You are liable for what happens on your property. Your son and other relatives or friends may or may not be covered under your car insurance. It depends on state law and the details of your policy.

You are liable OFF of your property only if you were the one operating the item and were negligent. The exception to that is if the item is defective and it can be proven that you knew or should have known that it was defective.

You have believed (inaccurately) for years that you are liable if you lend out your tools. You are upset that you were wrong.

Now, if you want an accurate answer from an insurance person (which you have already received) you have to ask the right question. "Am I liable if someone borrows a snow blower from me and damages their car, on their property, with it?"

I think the correct question would be "would my son be covered if he broadsided a car with a bike from my garage?" I know the answer is "yes." Next question "would his friend be covered if he did the same thing?"

I realize I am not legally liable for his friend's accident, but will my HO insurance cover it? If yes, then the operator of the snowblower may not be asking the owner of the snowblower to fix his car, he may intend to file a claim with the HO policy and have them pay for it?

Your son is a member of your household. The operator of the snowblower is not a member of the owner's household.

It's probably time to stop responding to Brian57. He absolutely does not want to understand how home owner's insurance works and doesn't care to learn.

Agreed.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast