Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Can You Press Charges as an Adult for Childhood Molestation

    My question involves criminal law for the state of: New Jersey

    I was molested at the age of 12 in 1981. According to NJ law, there are no statutes of limitations. Even though there aren't any, can I still press charges? I know my molester is currently on lifetime parole due to 2 recent molestation charges on a minor. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006

    Default Re: Molested in New Jersey

    Well, you can file a police report. You cannot press charges - only law enforcement can do that. But 37 years after the fact, I'm not sure how much evidence you expect there to be.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Molested in New Jersey

    Further, your understanding of the law is incorrect. The statute of limitations is only 5 years. There's an exception for sexual abuse of minors that perhaps extends that to age 23 of the victim, but we would seem to be past that as well.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Molested in New Jersey

    There are two different provisions that potentially extend the statute of limitations. Under NJSA Sec. 2C:1-6(a), "A prosecution for any offense set forth in... N.J.S.2C:14-2... may be commenced at any time." Under subsection (4), "A prosecution for an offense set forth in N.J.S.2C:14-3 or N.J.S.2C:24-4, when the victim at the time of the offense is below the age of 18 years, must be commenced within five years of the victim's attaining the age of 18 or within two years of the discovery of the offense by the victim, whichever is later".

    As the victim here was under the age of thirteen: If the act of sexual abuse involved penetration, then it can be charged under NJSA 2C:14-2(a)(1) and no statute of limitations applies. If the offender is at least four years older than the victim, an act of sexual contact can be charged under NJSA 2C:14-2(b) and no statute of limitations applies.

    If you report the acts to the police, the police will investigate the allegations and, ultimately, they and a prosecutor will determine if there is a sufficient case to warrant bringing new charges.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Other Injuries: Can an Adult Child Sue Her Parents for Childhood Neglect and Injury
    By Jlynn3530 in forum Accidents and Injuries
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 09:44 AM
  2. Sex Offenses: Can Somebody Molested as a Child Press Charges as an Adult
    By Tracey LeeAnn Franco in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2015, 08:06 PM
  3. Sex Offenses: How Long Do I Have to Press Sexual Molestation Charges
    By spokanedriver in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 09:05 AM
  4. Initiation of Charges: Assault Made While I Was a Child - Can I Still Press Charges Now That I'm an Adult
    By avelazq2 in forum Criminal Procedure
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 07:55 AM
  5. Unlawful Presence and Overstay: Overstayed Since Childhood, Unable to Adjust Status as an Adult
    By zdash in forum Immigration Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources