Default How to Get Mental Defective Adjudication Expunged

My question involves public health law in the State of: Colorado

Hello,

I recently tried to purchase a handgun for the law enforcement academy and found out I was adjudicated mentally defective. I drank a bottle of cough syrup almost 5 years ago and ended up involuntarily committed for 5 days I believe, but there's been no other incidents and I have my final interview for the law enforcement academy. I don't think this will prevent me from school since my background already cleared with them but I don't want this to keep me from getting jobs after I graduate. Does anyone know a way to appeal this or get it expunged? I already have calls in to the hospital and the court to get the records. I wasn't present at the court and had no idea that there was even a court case so that's brand new information 5 years later.

Thank you,

Sarah Pasley

Default Re: How to Get Mental Defective Adjudication Expunged

Colorado offers standard form petitions for restoration of rights following involuntary commitment:

For a petition for administrative relief:
    JDF 35 - Application for Administrative Relief From Federal Firearms Prohibitions Imposed Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. §922 (d)(4) and (g)(4)

For a petition for judicial relief:
    JDF 36 - Petition for Relief Pursuant to §13-5-142.5 OR §13-9-124 From Federal Firearms Prohibitions Imposed Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. §922(d)(4) and (g)(4)
    JDF 37 - Order for Relief From Federal Firearms Prohibitions Imposed Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. §922(d)(4) and (g)(4)

1. Sponsored Links