Default If Your Record Doesn't Show Up in a Police Record Check is it Gone

My question involves criminal records for the state of: South Carolina

A few weeks ago this person who is a former cop had his cop friend do a background search on me. The person supposedly ran my name locally, statewide, and federally and nothing showed up. A part of me doesn't believe that and have been feeling suspicious about it ever since. Should I believe my arrest isn't there anymore regardless of the fact that I got it expunged a couple of years ago?

Default Re: If Your Record Doesn't Show Up in a Police Record Check is it Gone

We have no way of knowing if the person is describing something that actually happened, or if the person is making up a story. Also, even if a police officer ran some sort of background check on you, what will and will not show up will depend on the state in which the check is run, the state in which the conviction occurred, and the nature and extent of the background check.

You posted this as being about expunged or sealed records. Was your record of conviction expunged or sealed? In what state?

If it was expunged, it shouldn't exist in most accessible government sources. Of course, if it ever got disseminated publicly, there's no guarantee that some site hasn't maintained a copy. Furhter, even sealed/expunged arrests may be accessible to sources within the government, but expunged arrests that didn't lead to convictions are pretty low on most anybody's radar. When we had guys doing the beyond-top-secret security investigations, they didn't even rely on that. What they did do is do courtesy calls at local police departments where you lived or worked over the years to see if anybody there knew of your activities. This was amusing when one of the police officers happened to know us and called to let us know they were checking up on us. I've seen police departments do similar searches checking out applicants.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    We have no way of knowing if the person is describing something that actually happened, or if the person is making up a story. Also, even if a police officer ran some sort of background check on you, what will and will not show up will depend on the state in which the check is run, the state in which the conviction occurred, and the nature and extent of the background check.

You posted this as being about expunged or sealed records. Was your record of conviction expunged or sealed? In what state?

It was expunged in South Carolina, but then again like I said before it was a waste of time getting it expunged when nothing good came from it

1. Sponsored Links