Default What Are a Non-Offending Parent's Rights During Child Protective Proceedings

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: West Virginia
    My ex husband and I had shared custody for five years. Our children alternated school years between us and alternating weekends. It was basically 50/50. My children brought some things to my attention which I immediately called CPS. My ex husband has lost custody. He is supposed to start supervised visits soon as long as he can pass a drug screen this coming week.
    I have complied with everything I've been asked to do, every meeting and interview. My ex husband has a court appointed attorney and my children have been given a guardian ad litem (yes that's probably spelled wrong). There has been one MDT meeting so far but just to set up visits really. My question is, what are my rights without having a lawyer and how much information am I supposed to be given about what's going on? I feel like someone should be keeping in contact and keeping me informed better. Also, I was planning on filing for full custody before all of this happened. Should I go ahead and file it should I wait?

Default Re: What Are My Rights and Obligations As the Non Offending Parent

Quote Quoting Marsha2
    View Post
    My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: West Virginia
    My ex husband and I had shared custody for five years. Our children alternated school years between us and alternating weekends. It was basically 50/50. My children's brought some things to my attention which I immediately called CPS. My ex husband has had his rights taken away by CPS and the Circuit Court. He is supposed to start supervised visits soon as long as he can pass a drug screen this coming week.
    I have complied with everything I've been asked to do, every meeting and interview. My ex husband has a court appointed attorney and my children have been given a guardian ad litem (yes that's probably spelled wrong). There has been one MDT meeting so far but just to set up visits really. My question is, what are my rights without having a lawyer and how much information am I supposed to be given about what's going on? I feel like someone should be keeping in contact and keeping me informed better.
    I don't think he had his parental rights taken away - or he would not be getting supervised visitation. Do you mean he lost custody?

Your rights are the same with or without a lawyer. A lawyer is there to help you navigate through the court system.

Default Re: What Are My Rights and Obligations As the Non Offending Parent

Yes,. He lost custody. I'll fix that. Thank you. What about filing for permanent full custody? I actually had everything ready to file before all of this happened. Should I wait or do it now?

Default Re: What Are a Non-Offending Parent's Rights During Child Protective Proceedings

Quote Quoting Marsha2
    View Post
    My question is, what are my rights without having a lawyer and how much information am I supposed to be given about what's going on?
    If you are not a subject of the protective proceedings -- that is, the action is solely against your ex- -- then you don't have the rights of a parent whose parental rights are potentially at risk. But you should be able to speak with the prosecutor in charge of the case, or somebody in the victim's rights office at the prosecutor's office, to get some insight into the progress of the case and perhaps to get notice of your ex's court hearings (if you're not already getting notice).

Consult a family lawyer about bringing a motion to modify custody based upon the allegations. The lawyer can advise you as to whether you should file now or wait, based upon the status and progress of the protective proceedings and whether it is likely that the court may lift its present restrictions on your ex's visitation. The lawyer can also advise you of the strength of your case for modification; but when the state finds cause to commence protective proceedings the odds are pretty good that the facts would support modification.

1. Sponsored Links