Default Re-Assuming Debt Assigned to Ex-Spouse in Divorce

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Ohio

My ex husband and I had a dissolution about a year ago.

A condition of the dissolution was he agreed to make the payment on one of my credit cards in consideration of me giving up my interest in certain marital assets.

He has been making the payments on the CC faithfully. The CC was solely in my name and remains so. It has about an $8,000 balance.

Due to a number of things he has paid for and will continue to pay for for the kids (cars, school, etc.) that I can't really help out with because I don't have the cash, he says I can re-assume my responsibility for the $8,000 balance. I can afford the monthly payments. The money works out better for me to do this, so I want to do it.

Since the credit card is in my name only (he wasn't on it and it doesn't show up on his credit report), can he simply stop making the payments and I resume? Obviously, we could just do that, but since the divorce papers say he will pay it, do we need to sign or file anything with the court to completely absolve him of being responsible for paying this?

Default Re: Re-Assuming Debt Assigned to Ex-Spouse in Divorce

Do not completely absolve him of paying the debt on the promise that he will pay for other things...because if I had a dollar for everyone I know who has done something like that and had it be a complete failure, I would be a rich woman. Reassume the debt informally if you feel it appropriate, but do not change the court orders until you have some long term history of him honoring the deal.

Default Re: Re-Assuming Debt Assigned to Ex-Spouse in Divorce

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Do not completely absolve him of paying the debt on the promise that he will pay for other things...because if I had a dollar for everyone I know who has done something like that and had it be a complete failure, I would be a rich woman. Reassume the debt informally if you feel it appropriate, but do not change the court orders until you have some long term history of him honoring the deal.
    I understand and thanks for looking out, but right now because of stuff he's already paid for, I technically owe him a cash payment of more than the balance on this card and that is only going to grow. By the letter of our decree, I am in default. He's not pushing it but it's his right to honestly...

1. Sponsored Links