Default Can a College Cut an Athletic Program Without Documenting Financial Need to Do So

My question involves education law in the State of: Missouri:
    A public University has cut an athletic program citing a need to allocate funds elsewhere. I have 4 main questions
    1: The school knew weeks ago, but withheld information that it would cut the team, which has led to students losing scholarships from the team and not having enough time to transfer and look elsewhere. The students have also signed leases to stay in the town next year. Is their a possible suit involving the loss of money there due to the school withholding information for no reason?
    2. The school has yet to provide anyone with proof that they are saving money. Is the school required to do this since it is public?
    3. If we can prove that the amount of students on the team and the amount that come next year pay enough tuition to even out the cost of keeping the team then is the school able to cut the team without providing another reason?
    4. If we are able to raise enough money to privately fund the team is the school required to keep the team without providing another reason to cut it?

Default Re: Cutting Public University Athletic Program to Save Money, Without Showing Numbers

1. No
    2. The governing body of the school answers to the state government in most cases. Not the students.
    3. No
    4. No.

Default Re: Cutting Public University Athletic Program to Save Money, Without Showing Numbers

The school doesn't need to prove anything. I can guarantee that EVERY sports program even men's Football and Basketball at top Division I schools are a NET DRAIN on the University finances. Further, with limited budgets, you've got issues such as Title IX to worry about. You can't just say "well someone else is going to pay for it" as an excuse for gender inequities.

Most Missouri public schools have boards that are appointed by the governor and approved by the state senate. The school answers to them and they to the governor.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    I can guarantee that EVERY sports program even men's Football and Basketball at top Division I schools are a NET DRAIN on the University finances.
    Really? You can guarantee that every single sports program at every single college/university in the whole country loses money? Do you have any reliable source for that? I'm sure it would come as a shock to some big college football and basketball programs.

1. Sponsored Links