Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Parking Sign Not Well Displayed, Thus I Did Not See It; Still Ticketed

Quote Quoting Brian57
    View Post
    I take that you are in agreement that those three reasons are BS.
    The fact that you believe the reasons are BS is of no consequence. The fact that I might believe they are BS is also of no consequence. The body of elected officials empowered to make such decisions has decided it shall be thus. We all agree to live under and abide by lawful enactments of the elected bodies we have empowered with rule making authority. We do not have a system where each citizen may autonomously decide for himself which rules are BS and can be disregarded. It's called an orderly society.

Default Re: It Should Always be Legal to Back Into Parking Spaces

Quote Quoting Brian57
    View Post
    I drive a full size truck and I can only fit into most stalls by backing into it.
    You say the signs are BS, well I say what I quoted above is BS. It makes no sense that your truck can only fit into a parking spot one way.

Default Re: It Should Always be Legal to Back Into Parking Spaces

Quote Quoting Highwayman
    View Post
    You say the signs are BS, well I say what I quoted above is BS. It makes no sense that your truck can only fit into a parking spot one way.
    I think what he meant was that it's much easier to back into a spot than it is to pull in/back out.

Due to the front wheels being the turning wheels, for most people backing into a parking spot and pulling out are easier then the other way around. If you are backing out you can't start your turn till you are almost all the way out of a spot so you have room for your front end to start moving sideways.

Plus if you've ever had to push a car out of a parking spot because it was pulled in and needs a Jump, that can lead to a habit of backing in so you don't need to push it out if you ever needed to jump it.

Default Re: Parking Sign Not Well Displayed, Thus I Did Not See It; Still Ticketed

Quote Quoting sniper
    View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ocr...s-illegal/amp/

If you want to change the law (muni code) for your city go to your city council and demand it be changed. If not, obey the properly posted and prominently displayed sign, regardless of the vehicle type you have.
    Doesn’t california require a front license plate? If so it would defeat the argument of being able to ensure the registration is valid.

Registration tabs are displayed on the rear plate only for passenger vehicles.

Quote Quoting sniper
    View Post
    Registration tabs are displayed on the rear plate only for passenger vehicles.
    Well that’s your fault. Why would you allow a different presentation in the front than what is required on the rear? The state should mandate registration tabs on both the front and rear.

The op does have an arguable point that the requirement to park front in is unduly onerous on a person who drives a long wheelbase vehicle. Some trucks are faced with aisles narrow enough that parking front in is actually impossible. Backing in allows a different trajectory of the vehicle and allows them to park in a lot with narrow aisles.

I know that is not a legal defense but at this point, that and hoping for a compassionate adjudicator (who hopefully drives a long truck) is about all the op’s got.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Well that’s your fault. Why would you allow a different presentation in the front than what is required on the rear? The state should mandate registration tabs on both the front and rear.
    Well, I have no responsibility of what the legislature adds or deletes from the vehicle code so tabs on the rear plate only is no fault of mine. Texas has no tabs on the rear but an inspection sticker in their window. That's goofy and more than likely one of their DPS officers fault.

Anyway, this instance involves someone who missed the sign that states not to back in because they disregarded the sign that states "do not enter". Something tells me the OP (in the parking issue case) doesn't obey signs anyway.

Brian needs to lobby his local State senator or Assemblyhuman and ask that nose in or back in parking is availiable anywhere in California.

There is also the fact that backing into a space can - and often does - take more time as the vehicle first has to pass the space in question, then position itself, then reverse slowly and carefully into position thus disrupting the flow of traffic along the aisle as people have to stop, or possibly reverse to provide the backer some room. Turning front end in just requires a single movement if done appropriately. So, from a traffic flow perspective, allowing backing into a space can be an issue. And while one can argue the reverse is true, depending upon the city or the nearby venue(s) arrival times may be more problematic and congested than departures.

There are any number of reasons as to WHY backing in may be prohibited. The point here is that the action WAS prohibited and there was a sign clearly spelling this out. That's not the fault of the parking guy who issued the cite, the police, or anyone else ... except the person who failed to comply with it. It's an "Oops!" moment, not the end of the world and not something that will be litigated any time soon.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    There is also the fact that backing into a space can - and often does - take more time as the vehicle first has to pass the space in question, then position itself, then reverse slowly and carefully into position thus disrupting the flow of traffic along the aisle as people have to stop, or possibly reverse to provide the backer some room. Turning front end in just requires a single movement if done appropriately. So, from a traffic flow perspective, allowing backing into a space can be an issue. And while one can argue the reverse is true, depending upon the city or the nearby venue(s) arrival times may be more problematic and congested than departures.
    Not to mention the road rage when the person behind the person who wants to back in thinks they are passing the space and tries to grab it for themselves by pulling in.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post

There are any number of reasons as to WHY backing in may be prohibited. The point here is that the action WAS prohibited and there was a sign clearly spelling this out. That's not the fault of the parking guy who issued the cite, the police, or anyone else ... except the person who failed to comply with it. It's an "Oops!" moment, not the end of the world and not something that will be litigated any time soon.
    I’m guessing you’ve never driven a crew cab truck and tried to park it in a lot with aisles and possible parking spaces on the narrow side. If you think it takes longer for a truck to back into a space, you would really hate a guy pulling in, backing up to allow a more inline trajectory, pulling forward, having to back up again to attempt to align the truck with the parking space and finally figuring out the aisle is simply too narrow to allow him to park in the space at all.

I wasnt meaning it was specifically snipers fault your state doesn’t use stickers on front plates. It was a joke. It just seems silly to not require them on both plates so whether coming or going, you, as a cop, can see whether the reg tabs are not outdated.

And please take note, I acknowledged the fact the ticket would be valid and the only hope I see of anything would be to find a sympathetic judge.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast