Default Can a School Issue a Student Loan Without Your Permission

My question involves malpractice in the state of: Illinois
    The school I am attending took out a loan without telling me. I didn't sign. I didn't say take out this amount for me. I just look up and I'm getting a email saying you have loan issued to your school for a set amount. They also said the loan was to pay for a quarter where their financial service made error for the previous quarters. Any advice?

Default Re: School

did you fill out the FAFSA? I've found that kicks off certain events and there is no way to refuse offers of student/parent loans.

In that loan email you received, does it state how to refuse the loan? Read the paperwork very carefully. You probably have a certain amount of time to refuse it before it becomes valid (Yes, I had this happen at a large private university that we have probably all heard of for one of my daughters and no signature was required. It frosted my toes, but there wasn't anything to do but to refuse it). Check with your financial aid department. I hope you haven't missed the timeframe though.

Default Re: Can a School Issue a Student Loan Without Your Permission

If you are telling us that there was a mistake in your account from previous quarters, and if we are to further infer that as a result of the error you owe the school tuition for those prior quarters, then what you describe as a "loan" may in fact be a repayment plan that allows you to catch up on the tuition that you owe.

Please clarify the facts.

Quote Quoting BRINK5775
    View Post
    My question involves malpractice in the state of: Illinois
    The school I am attending took out a loan without telling me. I didn't sign. I didn't say take out this amount for me. I just look up and I'm getting a email saying you have loan issued to your school for a set amount. They also said the loan was to pay for a quarter where their financial service made error for the previous quarters. Any advice?
    Any advice?

yep. Pay the amount you owe to the school and there will be no need for a loan or a repayment plan.

Dollars to doughnuts you signed whatever financial aid paperwork was placed in front of you, possibly even something that was included in your admissions application.

1. Sponsored Links